Oxygen Sensor: Location & Effects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CraigK

Reaction score
1987 Bronco II, 2.8L V-6 EFI A/T. I have an ongoing problem - once the engine warms up, it begins to sputter and almost die on a cyclical basis. Just as if fuel to the engine is being cut of on a cyclical basis, every 30 seconds or so. Pressing the gas pedal down further seems to return fuel flow(?) and the engine picks up. The problem does not occur under acceleration or load, and is worst at any constant running speed/no load condition. When the engine sputters and dies it does so somewhat slowly, as if gas is running out (takes say 5 seconds or so), but when it kickes back in it is instantaneous. I have replaced every frickin' vaccuum hose and installed a vaccuum gauge, and am convinced it is not a vaccuum leak issue. I have replaced the entire distributor, the TFI unit, and the MAP sensor. Of course, the fuel filter, and the plugs and wires. I've even 'permanently' installed a fuel pressure gauge on the intake manifold to check fuel pressure, and everything seems A-OK.

It's personal now. :angry:

On this vehicle, the EGR system has been disconnected and plugged at both ends, but this problem occurred BEFORE this was done, and is probably not related??? Is it possible the O2 sensor is reading a rich mix and signalling a fuel cutback to the injectors??? Where is the O2 sensor located? It is NOT on the driver's side manifold where my useless Hayes manual shows it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks you.

CraigK

OP
OP
C

CraigK

Reaction score
BLADE262US: Thanks for the thought, but I've already replaced the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel manifold. No change. And as I said, I also installed a pressure gauge on the fuel manifold (on the schrader valve) to monitor fuel pressure. Everything seems A-OK with fuel pressure.

Is there an O2 sensor on this engine? If so, where???

BTW - it's a 2.9L EFI, not the 2.8L.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Yes there is an O2 sensor maybe even 2 99 ranger I tore apart awhile ago had 4 of them would hate that bill get a head gasket leaking . Follow the exhaust manifolds down probably drivers side you will see it in the Y pipe somewhere there or atleast the harness will be hanging where it used to be because someone thought it was an optional part . There should be 3 wires in the harness because it should be a heated O2 sensor . Plug should be round . Try that and get back to us . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat