no brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demon

Reaction score
My 79 has been sitting for about four months. I hopped in it, started it, and popped it into drive. When i went to pull out, the brakes stuck on, and i had to actually pull on the pedal in order to release them. It had minimal stopping power to begin with, which i attributed to vac leaks/components. Any clue? And yes, it has fluid; no i didn't disconnect anything.

chase8266

Reaction score
thats an easy one,just replace the master cylinder.

oops wasnt thinking,i would definitely replace the power booster for sticking like that and the vacuum issues

pls disregard master cylinder

Customjob

Reaction score
Was the parking brake on for the four months? When you say you had to pull on the pedal you mean the parking brake pedal or the regular pedal?

The power brake booster works off of vacuum so yes vacuum issues couild leave you with less stopping power.

I would check out the brake pedal linkage itself and make sure it isnt binding somehow (if the pedal actually got stuck down). If that is moving freely check the master cylinder and booster i guess. The master should be sprung to push the brake pedal back up.

If the brakes just got stuck on, the back brakes can hang up sometimes after sitting, my bronco does this but i have never had to pull the pedal back up. I do have to pull my parking brake up because the cable must be shot.

andre

Reaction score
it the booster that stuck can be fix some time you can take it off and check

where rod go in clean rust off w verry fine sand paper

before make sure booster is keeping vacuum

here how to check it

1 start the truck for about 2 min then wait 5 min

take booster vacuum hose off at booster side

if you hear vacuum escape it still hold . if not replace unit

GOOD LUCK

Members online

No members online now.