New To Forums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ranger

Reaction score
Hello Broncozone.com

Let me first give some info about my truck. It's a 96 Ranger XLT. It has the short bed, regular cab, along with the 4-banger 2.3, dual-plug, with 5-speed manual, and 3.42 ratio rear-axle. I have about 106,000 miles on it right now. I bought it back in September and have put on 4,500 trouble free miles since. I like to drive this thing hard to, and it takes the punishment! I love it, although, I wish it had the 4.0L V-6, or a 302 like I had in my 93' Mustang. I didn't want to sell that car, but I had little choice. Anyway, I plan on keeping this truck for a while, and, so my next mod is gears. This truck is very easily bogged down. Why, just with two friends in the bed, I could feel the engine taking along time to get the truck up to speed so i could shift. I am going to be putting a tool-box in the bed here in a couple of weeks, and will either put the tailgate back on, or go with a cargo net to save some weight. I have looked all over this town (Wichita Falls, Texas) and have yet to locate a ring and pinion for a 7.5''. Anyone know of where I could order one? I will need to go ahead and purchase a rebuild kit for the rear-end. Oh, yes, this might help. I am thinking of going with 3.90's or even 4.10's, but you guys might know what I need. I want good strong acceleration (I know it's a four-banger) and not have the engine at a dnagerously high RPM while I am on the highway, at 60-75 MPH. By the way, i have some exhaust and intake mods, just in case your wondering. Thanks for your help.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
As old as this is already, I would consider 3.73 gears. #.90 would work, but any taller than that, and you'd be compromising your highway driveability, fuel mileage, and wear & tear

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
if you are willing to drive to lawton ft.sill I know where there is a bone yard with a butt load of rangers and he sells axles 100 each complete,if you come to lawton ask where the yard is east of town on co line rd.

take an axle code book with you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23