New 79 To The Bunch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haxaw

Reaction score
My People,

I got my 79 when I was 15 from my uncle, has always been in the family. My father, uncle, and I restored the interior, new carpets, repaired floors. Very nice truck other than mpg's. Exterior, new fenders, doors, tailgate, paid for 1/4's but shop repaired them, all new paint job, new shocks, brakes (lines, master, etc), tune up, steering box, starter, rear leaf springs, you name it. Truck only had 72k, now only has 112k. Got 33X12.50 bfg tko's for 67.99 a piece in a misprint and ranchos all original.

Took it off the road 3 years ago, 1/4's rusted out (Upstate New York salters) and my sister backed into it. I start it up at least once a month and move it around a little, soon as fuel hits the carb runs great, have changed the oil but not much else. I am planning on putting in back on the road as a resto @ 9mpg not practical daily driver, it's an xlt ranger but bad heat in winter and no a/c in summer. Just needs tlc. Want to rebuild engine myself or at least top end, get a four barrel, intake, cam, edlebrock makes a nice kit w/ all three and poss headers and duals. Smokes a little at start up but probably just valve seats.

What are the first steps in getting my first love back on the road?

Will I break valve springs w/ a high dur cam? Is it worth a full engine rebuild as runs well? Basically my goal is show truck, original w/ larger tires and more power of course.

Sorry no crazy mods, want it to last, and people will shoot at you if go wheeling.

Ktomek06

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone man! Sounds like a nice bronc..be sure setup a gallery!

Desert Donk

Reaction score
Welcome! I have a base model (no xlt, xl, nothin) 85 Bronco with a 300 inline 6. I bought it new in 85. It only has 140,000 on it as it has been a daily driver only a few of the years I have had it. But it has towed my 20 foot boats all around the southwest, taken gangs of people snow skiing and skydiving, and a huge amount of back country camping where only the die hards go. In short, it has 120,000 of those miles filled with happy people going great places and I love that truck. I'm a motorcycle nut too so I have always had one of those to drive daily, just take the Bronco to work on the most miserable days here. Which are not many in Phx AZ.

Just recently I decided to make the Bronco a daily driver again and luckily found this forum. It needs a bit of work, I have already replaced the seats and put carpet in. I have always been **** about maintenance so it runs very well. Age though has given it some leaky seals and such but I'm half way through all that. I still have not gotten a gallery together, mostly I think because I'm embarrassed a bit. Paint is still great (**** about waxing too) but it is such a plain jane truck. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls