I Need A Little Help, On How To Rewire A 86 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidtslc

Reaction score
Hey if anybody can help me i would really appreciate it. Im looking to buy a 86 bronco the only prob is someone tried to steal it before, and totally messed up the wireing and i would like to know how much it would cost and how hard it would be to fix it. I was told that the cable wire was fried but when i looked at it, it looked like it needed alot more then that, my friend said possibly i would need to rewire the whole thing.

If anybody knows anything about rewiring please let me know. thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
WOW :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :-& . You probably would be better off replacing the entire wire harness from the sound of it. That can be done, but takes a little time. One way to get one is to find a junker and remove the harness from it, preferable one from an 86. Though an 85 would probably be close enough.

If you wanted to try rewiring, you will need a real good diagram, not the one in Chiltons, but from a EVTM for 1986. You need to know where each wire goes and the proper size. That would be pretty difficult to explain in a forum post.

Find an EVTM in any event, they are listed on e-bay from time to time. If you find someone on e-bay dealing in automotive manuals and they don'thave one listed, email them and ask. They may not have it listed yet or can perhaps notify you if they find one. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The short of it is that you have a real challange if you plan on completely rewiring it yourself. A new harness will save you a lot of time and headache. You will have to take the dash apart to remove and install a new one. It is possible you might be able to get a after market harness, but they don't cover everything in your truck. :unsure:

Good luck,

:)>-

mgawat

Reaction score
:eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Aas a master electrician for over 25 years as wewll as an automotive/marine electrician, good luck....the biggest problem with the 80's harnesses are the low voltage requirements for all the various sensors...any little bit of corrosion on the connectors (pin and otherwise) means endless hours of troubleshooting...my recommendation is WALK AWAY!!!!!! :eek:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
P.S. I agree with mqawat, and should have added that comment. This probably isn't a job for anyone that is not very familliar with automotive wiring unless he/she is willing to go nuts. :wacko:

I myself would do it, but then I know what's involved, even then I would still have to muster up the incentive, put a leather strap between my teeth. <):)

Good luck,

:)>-

bigbad79

Reaction score
if you decide to tackle the wiring job try looking at painless. thier kits are fairly simple to put together and you can wire whatever you want and dont want into the harness. they also have one of the best tech supports i've ever dealt with, anything i was confused about they knew exactly what i did wrong. i re-wired my 79 from nothing, there wasnt one wire in it and lemme tell you it wasnt easy but take a little (a very little) at a time and its definatley possible

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph