Hood Scoop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saint351

Reaction score
I have a 85 bronco with a 351 h.o and i was thinking about putting a hood scoop on it that mesured 12 inches wide by 12 inches long and a 2 1/2 inch rise for the scoop. It would just be square but I was wondering is this going to give me problems with to much dirt and dust getting into my motor. Also I am wondering can i get some type of a airfilter or screen to stick in there or If i am going to have to make one.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
A friend of mine put a fuctional scoop on his 89, and swears his overall engine temp has dropped a few degrees. No screen or filter being used, just drilled two large holes, mounted the scoop, and called it a day

Seabronc

Reaction score
Are you going to put a filter on the carb? If not, you run the risk of sucking in something that will do serious dammage to your engine. Not sure why you want to put a scoop on it, other than for looks. I've got a stock ** air intake system and it works and performs great.

Good luck,

:)>-

Iamnottelling

Reaction score
I agree with the idea of getting watter or mud in the engine. I would keep the hood stock if you are gonna find some random things but if you are just lookin for looks the scoop is cool. I think ya gotta keep it ready for some stupid drivin B)

OP
OP
S

Saint351

Reaction score
well knowing me and how I get sometimes when im behind the wheel and out on the trails i would probably get a branch or somtin shoved into that scoop and really ***** it up. I am always more for function then looks anyways. I think it would look pretty good though.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Sorry bros, my first post didn't make it thru so here it goes. I don't think you'll have much problem with dirt or mud with a hood scoop, but I would be concerned about water getting on the motor. You would have to hit a big puddle fairly fast to get enough to splash into it, though, but I would not drive in a downpour with it on. You will get quite alot of dust and mud from the sides and underneath even with the stock hood. Also, as long as you use an open element air filter and keep it changed before getting too dirty, you'll be fine. The only problem I've had with my Shaker scoop has been those pesky love bugs getting thru it and leaving black specs everywhere. The set-up is functional, and has a drain hole for water in the scoop seal as well as one in the air box that I made.

B

bidi

I'm not to sure if it would make much of a difference but I have a cowl induction hood and I've found it to not only look good but it seems to make a little difference in keeping the engine cooler. Just thought I would let you know.

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're going to do some fiberglassing, or hope you would. You could add in some gutter gaurd. You could either go with plastic (which I would probably go with black and paint some black over it to possibly prevent it from the sun making it brittle, or get some metal. Fiberglass that in so you don't see what's holding that on, unless there's some way to hold it on that won't be seen.

Does anyone know of any hoods that are available? I saw one guy with a late 80's early 90's F-350 with some scoops he stuck on (looks cheap up close), and then there's someone with about the same year I-6 F-150 with a ~3" cowl hood, but I haven't looked up close at it or talked to him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat