Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebackbronco

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 1971 bronco and I am attempting to get my truck in good running condition. My problem is that I need to get the front drum brakes off my truck. We have tried everything that we can think of to do this. If anyone knows how to accomplish this I would be thankful of your input.

4xfan78

Reaction score
If you have a way to heat them up a little that helps sometimes,Although the drums are cheap to buy. So take a BFH(big f*~#*~# hammer) and beat them off.

maritime mudder

Reaction score
Are the drums seized by rust or are they just stuck on the shoes? Can you move them at all? You may try backing off the self adjuster a little to see if that helps.

Wildturkey

Reaction score
On my 70 model the lug bolts are crimped onto the hub and I had to take the locknuts out of the hub to get to the brakes.To get the old lugs out I used a torch since I was replacing the drums anyway.Not much work but a manual will help you to see how it is done.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
If the drums are original to the truck, they will be "crimped" on to the studs.

You can do two things here.

Remove the bearing hub and drum as an assembly ( probably a good idea to do this any ways, as you should do a bearing inspection and a re-pack)

or you can buy a "swedge" tool, it is used to cut the "crimp" away from the stud, and allows you to remove the drum without disturbing the bearings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23