Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I am looking into taking these old stock manifolds off the rig and putting on some nice headers. Just have a few questions as I have never done this before. I am guessing my engine would fit the shorty headers? I have heard these can cause the engine to heat up more than usual, so I have been looking at the ceramic coated that B.C. Broncos sells. 

Will these fit right into place where the manifolds currently are and bolt to the exhaust without any modification? I wanted to make sure this is something I can do in the garage before buying the parts. Also any other tips with this job??

Thanks!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
What kinda shape is the rest of your exhaust in...??  

If good.., you'll need the downpipe cut & then a shaped pipe with  a collector attachment end added/welded on 

along with the shaped pipe welded  to the remaining pipe.

As far as fitment, there's several brands that will work. Almost all the EB stores have them.

Some have the collectors that extend all the way down to the frame area.

(easy to bolt up to remaining exh. pipe)

These likely wouldn't need a shaped pipe.

I think they need to know what eng., starter location, auto or stick, any other doo-dads that might be in the way.

I don't think there's any heat variance except for the wrapped headers.

If your exh. (pipes/muffler) is rotted..., a good time to repl. it all fr. the eng. back.

It's possible the piece of pipe cut away may be re-used if in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
The exhaust piping is all new, I just wasn't sure if the headers would bolt right on where the manifolds connect to the pipe or if the piping would need to be cut/welded.

exhaust1.JPG

exhaust2.JPG

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Great, new pipes are a big help.

Check me but I think even the shorty headers outlet drops down lower & at an angle as there's 4-into-one.

Most likely need some mods to get it hooked up but that's normal & very doable.

The full length headers are a straight in connection & way down at the frame. 

Check out www.Wildhorses4x4.com

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
What's your preference on the short vs. long? What are the advantages of one over the other, performance and sound wise?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I wouldn't be the one to ask.., the V/8 EB's I've had didn't have headers.  As I stated earlier, I would think the long

ones would be easier to bolt up from underneath. My rig has the long & very easy to R&R. 

As to performance.., I notice mine come into play at freeway speeds (+- 70mph). Eng. seems to "breath" easier.

Don't know if there's any advantage at slow speeds.

As I understand it.., tune (as in carb), headers, pipes & muffler, cam-- need to be in sinc to get any advantage from headers.

(In some installs, headers actually decrease performance)

There may be some sound dif. to the trained ear but most wouldn't know 'til the hood is opened.

Having said that, the guys at WH all install & run these systems on their own rigs as well as for customers.

They answer all calls & emails & can give you the "fine points" of exhaust benefits. (Dave in sales)

And, Google "headers" ....,  you'll likely find graphs showing where headers come into play on the power curve.

HTH

B

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls