Fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trumpetkid

Reaction score
Ok, i'm new to this. my uncle told me about this site. about 6 months ago this guy my aunt knows gave me a 1990 bronco 2. it has a 2.9 liter engine in it. It has a brand new transmision and clutch in it. he drove it for a long time then parked it for 4 years. then gave it to me. i am 15 and start drivin soon. i am hopin to get it running by january.

So far whe replaced the battery, put half a 7 gallons in the tank.for about 4 months the guage on my dash wouldn read anything on gas. i was really confused with this cause i had just put 7 gallons in it. well about 2 weeks ago i had the starter rebuilt because the gear kept kicking out of the flywheel. now it will start on starting fluid, but only runs for as long as you spray the fluid. today i went out side and found the fuel pump/ sending unit relay and pulled it apart and put it back together and when i got back to my drivers seat the guage was reading half tank. i put the battery on charge cause it went dead over the past 2 days for some weird reason we havent figured out.

Anything oy ucan help out with would be awesome, so please commet!!! :)

Dalton

rkokos

Reaction score
I have an 89 B2 and I had similar problems with it. Seems for the incorrect guage reading I changed the pump and sending unit inside the tank itself which fixed the gauge problem and I haven't had a problem with it since. With it not running except with starting fluid, when you turn your key to the "on" position do you hear the pump running? If not then you may also have to change the fuel pump relay. I had this relay go out several times on me and now I keep an extra one with me. You will also want to change the inline fuel filter if you haven't done this yet. It is an easy fix and may be creating some problems there. It isn't a normal maintenance and I don't believe Ford anticipated gas having as much problems as we do now. Hope this helps.

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
well buddy i had the same problem with my 87 b2 wire number 23 i think or maybe 18 goin into my relay was bad which caused the computer to short out which caused a whole lotta more problems so even though its probably the fuel pump go ahead and check all 3 wires comin out of the bottom of the relay goin into the computer.

pattygook

Reaction score
I just realized this is an old thread, but if the fuel pump still isn't running after replacing the relay, make sure you check the fuel pump emergency shutoff switch. It's an inertia switch meant to shut off your fuel pump in case you get into an accident. The switch is in the cab, mounted in front of the passenger seat, against the firewall, under the dash. This was my very first problem when someone gave me their b2 and of course I went through all the usual troubleshooting and problems, eventually directly hooking up a 12v battery to the pump to find out that it worked. Anyway, good luck.

Clem

Reaction score
I just realized this is an old thread, but if the fuel pump still isn't running after replacing the relay, make sure you check the fuel pump emergency shutoff switch. It's an inertia switch meant to shut off your fuel pump in case you get into an accident. The switch is in the cab, mounted in front of the passenger seat, against the firewall, under the dash. This was my very first problem when someone gave me their b2 and of course I went through all the usual troubleshooting and problems, eventually directly hooking up a 12v battery to the pump to find out that it worked. Anyway, good luck.
Where do you stand on this now, you got it running or still chasing gremlins?

Ray

andre

Reaction score
YOU MAY HAVE MODEL W 2 FUEL PUMP ONE IN TANK AND ONE UNDER FRAME RAIL BESIDE FILTER

TO CHECK YOU'RE BATT DRAIN NEED TO PUT MUTI-METER IN LINE THEND PULL FUSE AND RELAY OUT ONE BY ONE

YOU MAY HAVE BAD FUEL PUMP RELAY

GOT TO CHECK FOR POWER ON FUEL PUMP

PINK W BLACK STRIPE IS POWWER BLACK IS GROUND

FUEL SHUT OFF SWITCH LOCATED UNDER DASH IN CENTER GOT A BUTTON TO IT AND WIRE IS O/LB AND PK/BL

FUSE NO 1 30 Amps

check this out let us know

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23