fluid check/replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ofthesouth05

ofthesouth05
Reaction score
Is there any maintenance that need done on auto transmission? I was thinking of having the fluid changed in the tranny, tranfer case, and differentials.Any body know the procedure to check the fluid level in auto tranny?(I never could get this right :wacko: )

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
---"fluid changed in the tranny, tranfer case, and differentials"---

Good idea on an un-familiar vehicle. >

---"Any body know the procedure to check the fluid level in auto tranny?"---

Dipstick in eng. bay....looks like oil dipstick...near firewall

American Rebel

4x4 Trail Master
Reaction score
---"fluid changed in the tranny, tranfer case, and differentials"---Good idea on an un-familiar vehicle. >

---"Any body know the procedure to check the fluid level in auto tranny?"---

Dipstick in eng. bay....looks like oil dipstick...near firewall

24188[/snapback]

Yea, on my bronco the tranny dipstick is on the left side of the engine towards firewall. I have an 88 bronco, it shouldn't be too different from yours...

OP
OP
O

ofthesouth05

ofthesouth05
Reaction score
I found the dipstick to tranny, but I dont have the owners manual or repair. Dont you have to get it warm and shift through the gears?Is there any maintenance that needs done on the tranny other than a fluid check/change?Thanks

American Rebel

4x4 Trail Master
Reaction score
I found the dipstick to tranny, but I dont have the owners manual or repair. Dont you have to get it warm and shift through the gears?Is there any maintenance that needs done on the tranny other than a fluid check/change?Thanks
24192[/snapback]

Yes, leave the engine idiling for about 30mins. or go out somewhere and come back. Then check it. I only check the gears if the fluid was too low to see if there was any damage from a lack of fluid in the tranny. I think that would be all you can do to a tranny except get a new pan gasket and filter. Hope that helps

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
OTS05, that is a great question! To check the transmission fluid level, the engine must be running and warmed up like psoted. I norally let the engine idle for about 10 minutes, then shift thru all of the gears enough to get a bit of movement. THis builds the pressure up in the tranny and gets the fluid flowing throughout. Then, when in Park, pull the dipstick near the firewall to check the level. Smell the fluid for any burnt odor, and check the color which should be pink. IF you detect any burnt odor or the fluid is dark red or brown, you need immediate service.

Normal maintenance is up to 50K miles, the fluid and filter should be changed, with a complete system flush. If this hasn't been done, a system flush may do more harm than good. Dirt, metal filings, etc. can be introduced into the transmission and many shops will not do the flush if you have 100K miles or more on the vehicle without proper cleaning. The only option then is to drain the fluid and replace the filter, checking for any metal filings.

The transfer case should also be serviced at least every 50K miles by changing the fluid. Many of the newer t-cases use transmission fluid, and a below-normal level is the leading cause of failure. On a typical t-case, the upper plug is for filling, and the lower pug is the drain. Be extremely careful in removing these plugs, as they can easily be stripped.

Same goes for the differentials. You often have one plug to both fill and drain fluid, and must use a vacuum pump to remove the old fluid. Look for any metal filings, or use a magnet run thru the old fluid.

OP
OP
O

ofthesouth05

ofthesouth05
Reaction score
Great info :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . When you said the plugs on t case can be easily stripped upon removal;did you mean the threads or the head of the bolt?And with the differentials,could I just unbolt the case cover to drain, or wiser to have it vacuum pumped, and do I use a 80 or 90w oil?

bart6180

Reaction score
OTS05, that is a great question! To check the transmission fluid level, the engine must be running and warmed up like psoted. I norally let the engine idle for about 10 minutes, then shift thru all of the gears enough to get a bit of movement. THis builds the pressure up in the tranny and gets the fluid flowing throughout. Then, when in Park, pull the dipstick near the firewall to check the level. Smell the fluid for any burnt odor, and check the color which should be pink. IF you detect any burnt odor or the fluid is dark red or brown, you need immediate service.
Normal maintenance is up to 50K miles, the fluid and filter should be changed, with a complete system flush. If this hasn't been done, a system flush may do more harm than good. Dirt, metal filings, etc. can be introduced into the transmission and many shops will not do the flush if you have 100K miles or more on the vehicle without proper cleaning. The only option then is to drain the fluid and replace the filter, checking for any metal filings.

The transfer case should also be serviced at least every 50K miles by changing the fluid. Many of the newer t-cases use transmission fluid, and a below-normal level is the leading cause of failure. On a typical t-case, the upper plug is for filling, and the lower pug is the drain. Be extremely careful in removing these plugs, as they can easily be stripped.

Same goes for the differentials. You often have one plug to both fill and drain fluid, and must use a vacuum pump to remove the old fluid. Look for any metal filings, or use a magnet run thru the old fluid.

24226[/snapback]

i've never seen pink tranny fluid, it's supposed to be dark red, which is the color it comes out of the bottle

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
i've never seen pink tranny fluid, it's supposed to be dark red, which is the color it comes out of the bottle
33159[/snapback]

You are correct!!! A "bright pink" color like Peptol Bismol indicates coolant in the tranny fluid. A clear red or even crimson/dark red color is normal, but not brown. The best indicator is a "burnt" odor from internal slippage. Thanks for clearing that up!!! JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23