electric choke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hughd

Reaction score
Hey. I just switched to electrical choke on my 67 with a 289. Not much to hook up to for power. Any pointers would be helpful. Coil is going to radio fuse and vacuum operated wipers. Thanks, hugh

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You just want something that has power with the truck on. I think + side of ignition coil is usually where I ran them.

OP
OP
H

hughd

Reaction score
I purchased a new holley with electric choke and the manual says do not hook up to positive coil side because that takes too much power from the spark plugs. sorry to be a pain. i am new to this stuff.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
On the old broncos, does the starter solenoid on the fender have 4 posts? 2 little studs? Can't remember but I was thinking one of them is hot when the key is on. You could go there.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Their might be a wire coming off the switch to under the hood near the firewall. If their is any--have someone turn the switch on and check the wire for power.When the switch is turned on.. If not.You could run a wire off the switch,but I,d have a fuse between it for safety--to keep from burning up any wires. Which comes to my mind. I think I ,ll go check on one of the small body ones this week.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey. I just switched to electrical choke on my 67 with a 289. Not much to hook up to for power. Any pointers would be helpful. Coil is going to radio fuse and vacuum operated wipers. Thanks, hugh
If the radio is hooked up to the coil. You have to rember . If you are parked and turn the switch on to play the radio. You,ll burn the points up. Unless you went to electronic distributor. I don,t know if it would hurt the distributor. Some one else might know about that. Why don,t you put a junction block on it . Run a wire from the battery then hook the radio up.,but have it set up.The only time juice would be on it.Is when you turned the switch on .Then run you a wire from the junction to the coil. I,d have a in-line fuse for protection though.

OP
OP
H

hughd

Reaction score
thanks for the info. it starts and runs, but now when i start it up it jumps to about 2000 rpms right away. i am thinking about putting the old carb back on. spent 400 on that street warrior carb. and now the bronco just sits in the garage.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
thanks for the info. it starts and runs, but now when i start it up it jumps to about 2000 rpms right away. i am thinking about putting the old carb back on. spent 400 on that street warrior carb. and now the bronco just sits in the garage.
Sounds like mine only it sits outside and the past 3 years I haven,t got to run it yet because one thing after another and its got full coverage. I,m thinkin and hopein when I do it get straightened out,. I,ll get in it and take her for a spin and know it is lega. Still hopein.Good luck to9 you also.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Sounds like mine only it sits outside and the past 3 years I haven,t got to run it yet because one thing after another and its got full coverage. I,m thinkin and hopein when I do it get straightened out,. I,ll get in it and take her for a spin and know it is lega. Still hopein.Good luck to9 you also.
I think I read something about those carbs being bad and the company was no longer in business.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well first what did you do to it? I,d check the wires and make sure they are hook up right Think of what you did--BEFORE -the problem. Then go back the way it was and try it. I know some carbs have a electronic gadget and it is on the driverside of the carb to the front. Its round and has a electric wire going to it and sometimes they will go bad and open up. Try it and if its bad .Locate 1 in a junk yard. Auto parts store asked me $95 for one. I just unhooked mine and it works good.

chrlsful

Reaction score
"a pic is wortha..."
as this can B so many things (rug on gas peddle, stuck/not free running acc cable, a/f housing, etc). Wanna try a remote diagnosis? Aint easy on lota things...pic helps

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
After it warms up does the idle come down?

Kind of sounds like high idle on the choke needs adjusted maybe? Or the choke itself?
Is the choke open or closed when you are getting this high idle?

When you step on the pedal it allows the choke butterfly to close and if adjusted properly moves a cam to increase idle speed while choke is closed.
Once the engine starts the choke should start to open slowly as engine warms up.
It will still idle high until you step on the gas and allow the high idle cam to fall back into place.
then it should idle down.

Of course you could have a bad carb, but they all need some adjustment from time to time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke