Driveline Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okleven

Reaction score
I have a '73 Bronco that I have installed a 3.5" lift on, rebuilt the C4 transmission, transfercase, rearend, and installed a new driveshaft in the rear. The problem I have is a rythmic vibration that is especially noticable at high speed. It cycles every 2-3 seconds. I also hear a clunk when I hit the gas and also when I let off the gas. My first thought is that it is a driveline angle issue. Any ideas?

admin1

Supreme Commander
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here are common things that could cause the vibration...

bad u-joint

loose drive shaft slip yolk

off balance drive shaft

Here are common things that could cause the clunk...

bad u-joint

loose drive shaft slip yolk

excess ring & pinion clearance

Hope that helps,

Dana

P.S. It could also be a combination of several of these items?!?

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
okl, I'd run with your idea of the possible bad driveline angle. Is your driveline a 2-joint, or 3-joint? 2-joint being a standard driveline with a U-joint at each end. If this is what you have, then you need to make sure your rear Tcase yoke, and rear axle yoke are within 2

ted_nicolas

Reaction score
Driveshaft may not be fully balanced or out of balance due to worn U-Joints.

Check for a broken off tab (in yoke, keeps u-joint centered).

If broken off of one side of yoke, it may let the u-joint be installed

slightly off center, causing unbalance. Replace Yoke.

EXTREMELY LOW BUDGET, DRIVESHAFT BALANCING TRICK:

Buy two large radiator hose clamps (new, not full of grease or dirt).

Clamp them onto u-joint close together,

with the hose clamp heads about 120

G

U-Joint it is! The joint that went into the transfer case yoke was sheared. I can't believe it stayed together! It had been acting like that for a while. It didn't have many miles on it. Maybe 1-2k. The Bronco hadn't been used for a while, though, so the grease could have gone bad.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I'd have the driveline ballanced, new u-joints, new splines on the slip yoke and a CV on the T-case end. I added traction bars which helped big time. I never replace u-joints with 38.5" SX's! Make sure the pinion nut is tight and have good gear fluid.

K

KROWBAR26

Driveline angle is probably cooking the U-joint. I had the same problem when I went to a 3.5" spring lift. New Spicer U cooked in about 500 miles. Put on new rear axle with high angle pinion. Problem seems to be gone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula