Cooling Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remercroft

Reaction score
i am having a cooling problem and most people say it probably is because of my timing. the timing is so bad it will run at least 20 seconds after i turn it off. i have a new 4-core radiator, new thermostate and my water pump seems to work. it only runs hot during daylight hours. at night the temp. is 180-190. during the day it would red line if i let it. the timing and this cooling problem are the only things keeping me from having a sweet ride. i hope some of you bronco wizards can help.

zakcode

Reaction score
dont know what year engine you have ...i would set the timing to about 4-6 degrees btdc, with a warm engine.if it still does it go fill up with 90 octane, seeif it still does it once the good gas gets into your carb. could take a couple miles to use the fuel in your lines.could be just low octane gas.if it keeps doing it adjust the timing a degree or two until it stops. i run mine at 16 degrees btdc and run at least 93 octane. its expensive but my engine likes it.....that is but one thing to look at.. what temp is your thermostat? is your fan shroud intact? did you burp your cooling system?.....i run a 160 degre therm..if you have a computer controled engine this could confuse your computer...fan shrouds are very important.if you dont have one get one that fits your truck if you have a body lift you may have to do some adjusting so your fan doesnt hit....burping is easy....drink a big bottle of your favorite drink,jump up and down,walla you burp...ok im back.....i like to drive up on a couple old 2x6's on the side the filler is on to get the filler a little higher to make sure it is the highest point on the system. start with a cold engine,remove the cap and start the engine,as the engine warms to operating temp and the therm opens the fluid will drop a little,DO NOT STAND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE FILLER YOU COULD GET A SPLASH OF HOT WATER IN THE FACE OR BODY, after the fluid drops a little add some water,now would be a good time to add some WATER WETTER from your local performance shop,it may take a few cycles to get all the air out but it should help a little....i invested in a twin fexilite fan,bypassed the thermostat and ran a switch so i can turnthe fans on and off when i want. .......you might want to install a seperate cooler for the tranny fluid if you are running an auto, the heat exchanger in the radiator can have a hard time doing the job if your engine is running that hot. it also will help yor engine run cooler by not having to cool your tranny also..... there you have a weekend project to get the wife out of your hair.......just a place or two to start ..good luck

zakcode

Reaction score
:eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> forgot to mention carb adjustment...if its too lean you could get the heat probs. too rich and you could get the detonation you are getting when you turn the key off. my guess is timing and fuel octane is the bigger problem. good luck...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23