Cleaning My Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Straight6

Reaction score
I read sometime in the past on this forum that oven cleaner is good for cleaning the frame and suspension so I tried it on a small area and it worked great. But should I use it on my aluminum transfer case, and do any of you think there are parts I should avoid spraying.

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
I've heard of using that for cleaning.. but I can't get myself to trust it.. nor do I like the fumes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use soapy water and a scrub brush and for the oily/greasy stuff, a spray on degreaser.

Another thing that works great is baby oil.

After the frame and everything is clean, spray baby oil all over and leave it.

It helps keep mud and dirt from sticking to everything.After you get done mudding or 4 wheeling, just let all the mud dry up over night or so and tap it off with a plastic mallet.

Granted it doesn't get every trace off, but it does make getting the build up off a lot easier. (old dirt track trick)

chopaz

Reaction score
I have used easy off on many occasions, especially in the engine compartment. I have never had a problem. The nice thing about it is that you don't need a pressure washer to get the job done.

Wliebhard

Reaction score
DON'T USE IT ON ALUMINUM!!!!!!!!!!! It will etch the aluminum and create potential stress risers. This could lead to failure of the part. At the least it will make it look terrible. I used WD-40 on my project and then power washed it. (see photos in albulm) WD-40 works great to break up the tough grime. Consider yourself warned. :)>-

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I do n't like the fumes, either, so I often use Dow Scrubbing Bubbles. Works great, and leves the truck smeeling like lemons instead of gas. Just don't use it on any electrical connections. I melted a few with repeated, heavy use.

OP
OP
S

Straight6

Reaction score
I used WD-40 on some of the engine parts and it did work well but only on the smooth and painted surfaces. On areas such as the manifolds it did not work at all nor did engine cleaner. I tried Castrols purple stuff on some of the plastic and smooth parts and it actually took paint off of the fenders in the engine compartment with just a little rubbing. But nothing worked better than the oven cleaner on the parts that had 21 years of greasy build-up on them. The only problem I had with the oven cleaner was that it also took off all the paint. I am going to try Scrubbing Bubbles and would like to know if there are any other products that will do the job, I don't have a pressure washer.

Windchaser

Reaction score
Open a can of elbow grease and apply liberally Rinse.

Repeat.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I use simple grean and a scotch. Works for me. Then I use WD-40 to repel dust. As for you tires, if you really want them to look good...spray on ArmorAll very liberally (wipe it off your rims), and LEAVE IT ALONE. Let it dry on its own-do not wipe. Then spray them down with WD-40-otherwise they will get caked with dust. Makes em look purdy.
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
LOL, elbow grease!!! :lol:

I've tried all kinds of Gunk and junk products, and agree with that statement. The Castrol Purple cleaner will remove paint, as I found out in the engine compartment. This is an old pic, but what I could reach was cleaned up with the Scrubbing Bubbles. It shined up the AC parts, so I would try that on the t-case. I might have a pic of that, too.

getfile.php

getfile.php

Last edited by a moderator:

4xfan78

Reaction score
Just get the fume free lemon scented oven cleaner. Smells ok and works great on nasty stuff. If you spray it on aluminuim just do'nt let it stay on there long, a few seconds will clean it up just fine. The thing that I found that works great on aluminuim ic a/c coil cleaner. It's made for aluminuim and cleans great, works even better when you use a scotch brite pad with it. The stuff is called foam and clean coil cleaner.

cowboydan

Reaction score
i like to go mudding alot, for when i'm the only one using it (wife might) i stop at the neaest pressure washer... comes off best when it's fresh. but i normally leave it all as muddy as possible for a few days or so, for i like to brag

cam_pics_305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cjbronco

Reaction score
I used Purple Power where I got from Pep Boys and it worked wonders. Let it sit a min and then scrub off the grease just disappears. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23