cb antenna mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b2girl

Reaction score
i have a 1990 bronco 2. when i bought it the guy gave me his uniden pro 520xl cb/pa radio with the coax but no antenna or mount. does anyone have suggestions on what the best low priced antenna would be? and where the best place to mount it with out drilling holes? any advice would be appreciated! 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
WOW...,

You're already on the question pages..!  Good job.

I don't like drill'n holes either.  Most towns have a CB radio store. They can advise you & have some tips.

One option is.., do you have a spare tire rack on the back..?  Thats a good mount point with a clamp type mount.

The coax will need a plug on both ends.

There's lots of CB radio acc. on line as well.  Maybe even Radio Shack can help some.

OP
OP
b2girl

b2girl

Reaction score
thank you. id been browsing around here the last few days! i do have a spare tire rack and have thought about mounting my antenna there. but i have heard that its not "ideal." any advice on an antenna if i do mount to the spare rack? 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"any advice on an antenna if i do mount to the spare rack?"

Welll.., CB radios & antennas are a whole 'nuther science..! I've done many & it seems no two are alike.

The antenna needs to be "tuned" with an SWR meter. Sounds complicated but not really.

Basically, you need a radio, a good antenna & a ground-plane (usually the metal roof).

Most antenna mounts are  interchangeable as the coax is like a TV cable.

Many folks mount to the tire rack. It's protected there & usually works fine, as long as it's well grounded.

Antennas are interchangeable as well. That's where a two way radio shop comes in handy.

He can try several types of antenna (and test with the SWR) to get the best match.

Having said that, I've mounted a radio & antenna on rigs.., took off with our group out in the desert,

& they worked fine... no testing or tuning. Sometimes you just get lucky.

My friend broke/lost his antenna out on the trail.., I found & stuck a coat-hangar in the hole.

It worked the rest of that day.

PS I moved you to the Bronco II  Q&A  slot.

OP
OP
b2girl

b2girl

Reaction score
Thank you. I've already got the radio. Just need an antenna. I was thinking firestik or Wilson. I want it mainly for hunting with my brother and dad since well all be in different rigs. There's also loggers logging around our lake house so it'd be nice to know when a truck is coming towards me! I know about the tuning and all of that. I'm just having a hard time deciding on an antenna and mounting spot!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I knew you had the Uniden.., I was speaking in general.

I have a Firestik, (5 ft.) works fine here in the desert.  Might take a beating in the forest/trees. 

Have fun, good luck

B

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
b2girl

b2girl

Reaction score
thank you. ill figure something out. may have to talk to my uncle and see what he prefers. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke