Bronco II won't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darkchalk

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Bronco II. It will start up fine, but to keep it running, I have to pump the gas pedal. If I hold it slightly depressed, all the way down, let go completely, or anything other than pumping the gas pedal rapidly, it dies. I have replaced the fuel filter to no avail. I have also checked the fuses. Any advise would be appreciated

Also another question. I was replacing a headlight in the dark and I removed the battery so I could get a better look and more room to move. Well, when I put it back in, I put it in backwards. It fried the alternator, so I had to get that replaced. Now, the only thing on my dash that works is the speedometer. No lights or other gauges. Turn signals don't work all the time either. Hazards don't work at all. Did I fry something bad? Thanks.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Did the run problem come immediately after the battery was hooked up backward? or is it a seperte problem?

Iwould suspect that you may have fried your computer and or blew a major fuse. Not sure if the BII uses fusable links or fuses to supply power to the fuse block.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
D

darkchalk

Reaction score
It started giving me problems after it had been sitting for a few weeks. Quite a while after the battery incident

Seabronc

Reaction score
I'm a little blind here because I do not have a BII but Ford wiring is fairly consistant across years and trucks. So I need to ask a few questions. Exactly what does work? like dome lights, head lights, side marker and parking lights? And when did the lights quit? Directly after the battery incident? Do you have any small leads connected to the battery (-)?

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK