baffeled by bogging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88 Bronco II

Reaction score
I have an 88 Bronco II (2.9l), a nice little truck that I picked up from a friend of my brother for a song because it had a blown head gasket that he didn't want to pay to have replaced. This was over a year ago and we replaced the head gaskets and the truck is good looking and for the most part runs nice.

My problem is that sometimes it bogs down while I'm driving. Sometimes after parking it starts hard and has obviously flooded. A few times this has happened even after it has started and I have drove 50 feet and all the sudden it starts to flood and will completely **** itself. We then wait for about 5 min. start it up and away we go. When it bogs down it can be at almost any time and any speed, driving around town or out on the highway, and the check engine light comes on at the exact same time and the bogging can come and go in an instant and sometimes several times even within a minute. Sometimes it will do this on a regular basis, from one day to the next and then sometimes it will go a week or two without a problem. My thought is that it is either a bad sensor or electrical problem. It's a pain in the butt and it's killing my fuel economy. Part of me has been hoping that it would just die completely so I can find the problem.

Has anyone had to deal with such a thing? I'm baffled as to where to start.

Last edited by a moderator:

slambam

Reaction score
Not necessarily in this order but try the fuel pressure regulator(change fuel filter @same time). Clear the computer codes. If problem is still there run a pressure check, could be the fuel pump. Also test the O2 sensor.

I have an 88 Bronco II (2.9l), a nice little truck that I picked up from a friend of my brother for a song because it had a blown head gasket that he didn't want to pay to have replaced. This was over a year ago and we replaced the head gaskets and the truck is good looking and for the most part runs nice.
My problem is that sometimes it bogs down while I'm driving. Sometimes after parking it starts hard and has obviously flooded. A few times this has happened even after it has started and I have drove 50 feet and all the sudden it starts to flood and will completely **** itself. We then wait for about 5 min. start it up and away we go. When it bogs down it can be at almost any time and any speed, driving around town or out on the highway, and the check engine light comes on at the exact same time and the bogging can come and go in an instant and sometimes several times even within a minute. Sometimes it will do this on a regular basis, from one day to the next and then sometimes it will go a week or two without a problem. My thought is that it is either a bad sensor or electrical problem. It's a pain in the butt and it's killing my fuel economy. Part of me has been hoping that it would just die completely so I can find the problem.

Has anyone had to deal with such a thing? I'm baffled as to where to start.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula