automatic A4LD replacement options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viperfangs2

Reaction score
ok i have been reading about my automatic A4LD transmtions well it seems like mine is shot so what are my options as far as replacement like i really dont want to put another crapy automatic A4LD if its crapy but i only have 400 doallars and if i have to put it in i will.

Plus i have been reading alittle and is it true if i do a tranny swap do i have to repalce the tork converter

Yardape

Reaction score
If your tranny is shot you get crap in the fluid. You try and put the torque converter in another tranny then you run the risk of "infecting" the new tranny. Some people try and flush them but there still is a chance theres still some crap in there that you dont want.

OP
OP
viperfangs2

viperfangs2

Reaction score
Man this sux so bad i only have 400 dollars and im visting my mom in texas cuz shes dieing of cancer she has no car and i have no way back to florida where i live and i am going to lose my job and everything i own plus my dog that i have had for 8 years who is a boarding house for dogs my truck has got a busted trasimtion plus im going to be 21 in a week and a half!!! my girlfriend is 7 months pregant man o man wat do i do?

If i cant buy a tranny and a tork converter together for under $400 well as u read above things will got from bad to well I dont know

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
You could write a country song and get rich. Then you would never have to worry about trannies again. Awe man sorry, couldnt resist. Check your local scrap yards, should be able to score a used tranny for far less than 400.00 in fact you could probably get four of them.

OP
OP
viperfangs2

viperfangs2

Reaction score
Would I have to pull the tranny out my self right if i went to a scrap yard and would they work? would i be able to just swich it to a mannul cheaper well i thik i would have to chage the flywheel cuz its for and automatic flywheel and would that be advised? if i buy a tranny from a scrap yard does it come with the tork converter?

ps:if i didnt hate country music i would sing a song cuz your right my life right now would make a great country song sense most are about poor rednecks lifes sucking lol

Yardape

Reaction score
your best bet would be to find a C-6, if in doubt just pull the tranny pan, there will be dust from the clutches so thats normal. Just look for anything abnormal. They will usually let you get away with what ever is attached and you can carry with it. Torque convertor is pretty much part of the tranny so it should be fine. Switching to manual is an option, definitely not your cheapest option, after the clutch pedal, flywheel and a new starter.

OP
OP
viperfangs2

viperfangs2

Reaction score
belive me if i had the money i would but a v8 in my bronco ll does the tranny i buy have to be from the same year? i dont know if you saw the other posting i rote but here is wat is going on with my tranny right now (I am visiting my mother in Texas and i got stuck in the snow well when i got stuck i tried to rock the bronco ll out in doing this i accidentally slipped transmission into park while rocking the my bronco 2 out as soon as i got out of the snow i heard a clattery noise and i cannot drive forward or i can't drive in reverse it wont move i don't know What this means Should i buy a new trasmiton or could it be something simple like linkage or a gasket that i can pay some one to fix i don't know how to work on a

automatic transmission. Could it be the engine i am pretty sure the noise is coming from the transmission

PS: I know how to take out the transmission and swap it with a new one!! just want to make sure i don't have too 400 dollars is all i got so i don't know what to do!!!

I have an 89 ford bronco ll 2.9L v6 2wd)

CBII

Reaction score
belive me if i had the money i would but a v8 in my bronco ll does the tranny i buy have to be from the same year? i dont know if you saw the other posting i rote but here is wat is going on with my tranny right now (I am visiting my mother in Texas and i got stuck in the snow well when i got stuck i tried to rock the bronco ll out in doing this i accidentally slipped transmission into park while rocking the my bronco 2 out as soon as i got out of the snow i heard a clattery noise and i cannot drive forward or i can't drive in reverse it wont move i don't know What this means Should i buy a new trasmiton or could it be something simple like linkage or a gasket that i can pay some one to fix i don't know how to work on aautomatic transmission. Could it be the engine i am pretty sure the noise is coming from the transmission

PS: I know how to take out the transmission and swap it with a new one!! just want to make sure i don't have too 400 dollars is all i got so i don't know what to do!!!

I have an 89 ford bronco ll 2.9L v6 2wd)
There are a couple of options that you can do when swapping trannies. The least of which is to swap in a new/used A4LD for the BII. I wouldn't recommend this when you can upgrade to better trannies.

First otpion and most likely the one you'll pick is to swap in an A4LD from an Explorer. Yes they have the same name, but they are different. The Explorer A4LD is better built with stronger internal parts since it was mated to the 4.0l (more HP and Torque). Therefore you shouldn't run into problems when it's mated to the 2.9L. Warning here. Used ones are bad news regaurdless to which motor they can from. Rebuilt is the only way to go.

Second option is to find yourself a c5 out of the 85 BII's. It's a more realible auto tranny and swapping in used ones is ok.

Third option and probably the best option out there for any ranger based vehicle is to swap to a manual tranny. There are several out that and the explorer(again) M5OD is you best option.

One thing to remember is that any tranny that was bolted to the 2.8L, 2.9L and 4.0L are interchangable. However no 2.8L or 2.9L tranny should be swapped in behind the 4.0L. Only exception to that rule is the C5. With a little tweaking they can put up with a v8.

As to why your tranny no longer works. Best guess is that you exploded something with the parking pin when you slammed into park while driving. But that's just a guess.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula