'87 Bronco II Starting Issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kit_

Reaction score
I've recently had quite a bit of work done on my '87 Bronco II. To give a slight laundry list of what has been done this year, I have replaced the front shocks, radiator fan, the starter twice, oxygen sensor, spark plugs and their respective cables, and distrubitor cap. I've also had the pressure hose on the poewer steering replaced, as well as some work to the rear brakes. I've had a fun year so far, and it isn't over yet.

I had the starter replaced within the last month, because the old one decided to fall off, and get itself caught in the ring gears. About a week ago, when I went to start the Bronco, all I heard was a click, like what happens when the battery is almost dead. I thought I had maybe left ym lights on, or something similar, but everything else seemed to work just fine, and all the lights were bright. I tried a few more times, and after about 5 or 6 tries, it started like nothing had happened.

This went on for a few days, and then the other night after work, it just would not start anymore, but I still heard the click. I tried replacing the starter relay, and after hooking it all up and trying it, I heard a very nasty grinding noise, like what you hear when you try to start it when it is already running. I tried again, just to see, and it started just fine. The third time though, nothing happened. No sounds, no clicks, just nothing.

I put the old relay back in to see what would happen, and I still got the click. Tried again with the new one, and nothing.

My thoughts are that maybe I put the wires on in the wrong places, and possibly killed the realy, since I get nothing with it now.

I'm going to go get another one today and try it, since it is a fairly cheap part. But, any thoughts or suggestions or guidaince on how to wire it up correctly (there were a few smaller wires that go on the posts, I have no idea what all of them are for, other than the positive from the battery, and the bundle that goes to the starter), or other things to look for would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj