85 EFI 302, no start w/ crank questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montfour

Reaction score
I've recently purchased an '85 with EFI (no schrader valve on fuel rail), 302 engine, with a "bad fuel pump" from the seller.
Would crank constantly but no start from the purchaser. Fuel pump sounds during a priming test were only from the high pressure in-line on the rail, and no sound from the rear in-tank unit.
Got it jacked, tank out, new pump and sending unit in. Both pumps now audibly prime for 1-2 seconds upon KOEO prime check; new battery, but still no start. Note that the fuel level indicated with a new float is a bit below the E line, though a couple of mechanics have mentioned around 6 gallons of fuel is needed in the fuel tank for pickup to work. IIRC the fancy reservoirs in these models are an attempt to keep constant pressure under interesting conditions, and I can clearly see fuel to the (leaking) reservoir.

Before I attempt to take off the frame bolts holding the top of the reservoir shield in and probably break my knuckles attempting to do so, I have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer with my Haynes manual:
  • IS there a specified in-tank fuel level required to start the low-pressure pump? Because it is priming with key-on status (and I can clearly see fuel in the line), would insufficient fuel pressure to the reservoir and/or high-pressure pump be the next step to check for pressure?
  • What amount of PB Blaster in gallons do I need to break the on-frame top bolts for the reservoir shield, and who thought it was a nice idea to make the retaining nuts look real but actually act as part of the shield and not move?
  • How do I check for fuel pressure with no schrader valve on the fuel rail - or am I missing a separate location?
  • The previous owner took the belt off of the smog pump on the front of the engine. Should this affect the timing of other components now that the belt is off, or is it mostly an auxiliary component? I have heard answers on both ends of the spectrum.
I can take pictures and answer any follow-up questions as needed. I have reviewed the large post about reservoirs in another thread and would like to try other options first because of the bolt issue previously mentioned, but assume a visibly wet fuel reservoir is not normal.

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Good questions,

But before we go there, you are pretty confident the fuel system is working, have you verified that you have spark? Tried to start it with starting fluid?

If so then yes, back to fuel pressure. To read the pressure you have to break the line and install a Tee. Some fuel pressure test kits come with a Tee for doing this, otherwise you have to get creative to do it.

Wouldn't worry about the reservoir until you can check fuel pressure. Or at all really.

Smog pump is not important. Leave the belt off.

Any fuel in the tank is fine. Of course this will be verified by getting a fuel pressure reading.

Another thing you can do is take the fuel return line off, break the connection somewhere and manually jumper the relay. With that you can see if you have flow at least. If you have flow, then you have enough fuel in the tank.

those 2 pumps systems are a headache. I have removed both of them and installed a single pump in the tank. This eliminated a lot of problems.

For testing you can bypass the reservoir as well. If you go to someplace like advance in their help section they have steel fuel line, about a foot long. Get a 3/8 and 5/16 and you can bypass the reservoir. Plugs right in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom