1996 Bronco Xlt Tailgate And Seat Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stratocaster1422

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

My Dad has a 1996 Bronco XLT....and I have a few questions....

First, he wants me to replace the tailgate. I found one from Veng (www.vengusa.com) and broncograveyard.com. I plan on reusing all the internals for the electric windows.

What parts should I replace on the inside of the tailgate while I am at it?

Are there any good tech articles on doing this?

The tailgate from Veng is for a '92, will this bolt up to the '96?

Also, I need to replace his seat. Where is a good place to find a drivers side grey cloth seat? The Corbeau on Broncograveyard looks pretty good...how does it compare to stock?

thanks for all your help!!!

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Welcome to the Bronco Zone!
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' />

First thing you need to look at with on the tailgate is how much rust is on it and in it.

If it is really rusted out then I would say you should get new weather strips and a new tension spring rod.

Next thing that might be a good idea to change is the wiring harness. Ford has had a problem with this over the years. If you are not having problems yet you most likely will.

BroncoForever is right, 77-86, 87-91 & 92-96 are the same tailgates.

I don't know much about the seats so maybe someone else can answer that question for you.

OP
OP
S

Stratocaster1422

Reaction score
Sweet....last time I had it apart, it looked not too bad on the inside and where the seals are. Just some rust starting to accumulate on the outside. How hard is it to transfer all the guts over to the new tailgate?

So I should probably get thes from Broncograveyard.com?

Tailgate Shell, 83-96 Aftermarket

Weatherstrip, Inner & Outer

Weatherstrip End, Right

Weatherstrip End, Left

Window Regulator Bracket (On Bottom of Window)

Window Regulator Bracket Bushings (4 Per Window)

OEM Window Regulator Roller

I've already replaced the OEM roller once, and the regulator bracket didn't look too bad. I couldn't seem to find the Tension Spring Rod though

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Stratocaster1422

Reaction score
You rock man!!!

thanks a ton!!! I'll post pictures of the process. My friend Corey is going to do all the paint/etc. We're also getting rid of all the rust under the chrome trim pieces in the rear fender. When I search for those on Broncograveyard, it only comes up with "Wheel Opening Trim Quarter Right, 87-91" and the left side. Will those fit on my 96?

Any help anybody can still give on the seat would be wicked helpful too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Stratocaster1422

Reaction score
How important is it to replace the tension bar? I don't think the one on the truck is really rotted at all...

Shadow_D

Reaction score
The best way I can say it is as follows...

If it looks real rusty replace it when you replace the tailgate, if it doesn't look that bad then don't.

It is easier to replace it when you have the gate off then later after you have already replaced it.

There are clips inside the gate that not that easy to get to with the gate on.

OP
OP
S

Stratocaster1422

Reaction score
I just recently got all the parts together. Mine wasn't rusted out that much so I opted not to replace. Plus the shipping was starting to add up with all the crap I was getting :rolleyes:

Thankfully I found the tailgate locally and didn't have to have that shipped

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph