1990 Bronco 5.8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racrx

Reaction score
So Ive been having the same problems as mentioned in a previous post. Starts/idles fine but wont go under load. misses,knonks and pings no acceleration. met with the guy that sold it to me and he advised he changed the ecm. the one in there is a reman for advance auto. e9tf-ada,afb,afb. the photo he had of the original was fotf-12a650-pd. i believe it is the wrong ecm. would this cause my issues? and how can i check on this? infound another listed on advance that shows its for ftot-pd, pd. any answers or suggestions would really be appreciated. thanks.

Reaction score
i have a 93 5.0 with kinda the same issues as you, i worked on it, poked and prodded on it , even took it to my buddy mechanic, he replaced a few things but still had issues, then about 2 or so years ago i was scratching my head and pokin around some more and accidently bumped the dizzy, it moved, i grabbed it and turned it and come to find out the dizzy hold down bolt was loose... all this time with all the issues was because the distributor was loose and moving all over the place...

OP
OP
R

racrx

Reaction score
thx for ur reply. i checked timing earlier and the dizzy was secure. im hoping the wrong ecm is what the issue is. will find out when the new one comes in. also dropping the fuel tank and changing the fuel pump and sending unit due to really old fuel and sending unit not working. rather than cleaning it all out i decided to go all new. hoping these steps resolve mu issues

L\Bronco

Reaction score
So Ive been having the same problems as mentioned in a previous post. Starts/idles fine but wont go under load. misses,knonks and pings no acceleration. met with the guy that sold it to me and he advised he changed the ecm. the one in there is a reman for advance auto. e9tf-ada,afb,afb. the photo he had of the original was fotf-12a650-pd. i believe it is the wrong ecm. would this cause my issues? and how can i check on this? infound another listed on advance that shows its for ftot-pd, pd. any answers or suggestions would really be appreciated. thanks.
The wrong ECM can definitely cause your issues. But so can low fuel pressure. I think you are on the right track either way.
What is the year, eng and trans of your bronco? Also the calibration code if its still there, It should be a small white sticker on either doorjamb or edge of the door. (Usually the pass side) See image. I had to do a lot of research around this for my restomod, so I may be able to help. If you could attach picts of the tag on the pcm plus the orig, that would help too.
Cheers

Attachments

• truck_sticker_calibration_info_64f0b28c832987e38c56cc8d71c74c45200c5ff5.jpeg
    truck_sticker_calibration_info_64f0b28c832987e38c56cc8d71c74c45200c5ff5.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
R

racrx

Reaction score
its a 1990 with a 5.8 and 4eod transmission. first pic is what was in it and second pic is what he replaced it with. the bronco is originally from california. now in sc. thanks for ur reply!!!

Attachments

• B1132A58-ECC1-4800-8EF2-5E36ACCE9979.jpeg
    B1132A58-ECC1-4800-8EF2-5E36ACCE9979.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 8276F166-F40A-4C0E-9376-3241D96FB4B5.png
    8276F166-F40A-4C0E-9376-3241D96FB4B5.png
    872.6 KB · Views: 5

Motech

Reaction score
Do not overlook your main ground off the battery, which is labeled G101/G102 down in the leftern bottom of image here.

download.jpg

And I know I'm a broken record with this, but try running it with your timing SPOUT connector unplugged. If it runs better, you have a bad PIP sensor in the distributor.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
its a 1990 with a 5.8 and 4eod transmission. first pic is what was in it and second pic is what he replaced it with. the bronco is originally from california. now in sc. thanks for ur reply!!!
When its a reman, you can't trust the for number on the case anymore, you have to decode the rebuilders number. According to Cardone's website, it should be correct. But they have been wrong before. It says its for a 5.8 auto, so the fuel maps should be close enough to make it run properly even if it isn't an exact match.
I would put a pin in that and verify basics first.
Old fuel will cause pinging, intake backfiring, hesitating, sluggish acceleration. So will low fuel pressure and also ignition as Motech mentioned.
You mentioned that you were replacing the tank and pump, I would get that done first and see what you get. Your truck should have the 2 pump system and when the in tank pump fails, you get your symptoms for sure.
Good luck
Cheers

wyo58

Reaction score
!2a650 is the base number of all of Fords PCM/ECM. I would make sure that the one you have is really the wrong one. Funny thing is all of Fords PCM's were basically the same where the difference came in was how it was flashed for each vehicle/engine. e9tf I belive was for a late 70's truck, but if the re-manufactured PCM was flashed for your vehicle it should still be okay. So I guess I'm not convinced its the wrong PCM it does start and run at idle. However a different year and fuel map would cause the problem you are having. keep us posted what you find please and good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

racrx

Reaction score
Do not overlook your main ground off the battery, which is labeled G101/G102 down in the leftern bottom of image here.

View attachment 31082

And I know I'm a broken record with this, but try running it with your timing SPOUT connector unplugged. If it runs better, you have a bad PIP sensor in the distributor.
thx for the reply i will try that

OP
OP
R

racrx

Reaction score
!2a650 is the base number of all of Fords PCM/ECM. I would make sure that the one you have is really the wrong one. Funny thing is all of Fords PCM's were basically the same where the difference came in was how it was flashed for each vehicle/engine. e9tf I belive was for a late 70's truck, but if the re-manufactured PCM was flashed for your vehicle it should still be okay. So I guess I'm not convinced its the wrong PCM it does start and run at idle. However a different year and fuel map waould cause the problem you are having. keep us posted what you find please and good luck!
thx for the reply. appreciate it.

OP
OP
R

racrx

Reaction score
When its a reman, you can't trust the for number on the case anymore, you have to decode the rebuilders number. According to Cardone's website, it should be correct. But they have been wrong before. It says its for a 5.8 auto, so the fuel maps should be close enough to make it run properly even if it isn't an exact match.
I would put a pin in that and verify basics first.
Old fuel will cause pinging, intake backfiring, hesitating, sluggish acceleration. So will low fuel pressure and also ignition as Motech mentioned.
You mentioned that you were replacing the tank and pump, I would get that done first and see what you get. Your truck should have the 2 pump system and when the in tank pump fails, you get your symptoms for sure.
Good luck
Cheers
thx for ur help. hopefully will know more this weekend. i will post the results

L\Bronco

Reaction score
!2a650 is the base number of all of Fords PCM/ECM. I would make sure that the one you have is really the wrong one. Funny thing is all of Fords PCM's were basically the same where the difference came in was how it was flashed for each vehicle/engine. e9tf I belive was for a late 70's truck, but if the re-manufactured PCM was flashed for your vehicle it should still be okay. So I guess I'm not convinced its the wrong PCM it does start and run at idle. However a different year and fuel map waould cause the problem you are having. keep us posted what you find please and good luck!
Just as information, here's how the date decode on ford part numbers works. Look at the prefix (E9TF) the first digit is the decade E=80's second digit is year, so 89.
F0TF is 1990.
I thought the same thing about software being the only difference between Ford PCMs, and when I did the lightning swap in my 79 I very quickly discovered that isn't the case. They made many many different hardware codes and only certain tunes can be loaded into certain PCM's. They are quite finicky actually.
Nothing is programmable until the 104 pin PCMs came out, (96 and up), at least not without very invasive tools and software (Quarter horse tuners and such)
Just FYI
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar