1987 bronco ii

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mark5bronco

Reaction score
Hello--just bought another 1987 ford bronco II stock- 2.9L AUTO a couple of days ago. The owner i bought it from knew no history. He only said it had set up for a couple of years. Before i dive into it more--I thought i would ask your thoughts. Here is what I found on the Bronco: new gas tank and internal fuel pump. new plugs and wires, new distributor and cap. new master cylinder. new fuel injectors and starter solenoid (all the old parts were in the vehicle--even the old gas tank.) Also the Catalytic converter was removed and it is in the back of the bronco. I hooked the battery up--and it hit but would not run after spraying a little starter fluid. There is plenty of gas pressure on the fuel rail--it shot up. the oil looks good visually. This is where I stopped.

My plan is to remove the gas tank and empty it and put a new fuel filter on it. What would you do next? A few things came to my mind--fuel regulator, external fuel pump, and timing. I don't have a lot of special tools. For me I'm a trial and error type guy but i don't want to throw unneeded parts on it.

I appreciate any advice

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Checking fuel pressure is pretty important here.

Could be a bad relay not turning the pump on, pump could be stuck and will not spin from sitting. Could be some other electrical gremlin.

Kind of sounds like he was chasing the problem and never fixed it.
So for me, at least for now I would assume the pump is good and probably start testing wires with a test light to see if there is power to the pump.

OP
OP
M

mark5bronco

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. I agree--it does sound like he was chasing the problem but never found it. i took the pump out of the tank--i have fire coming to the pump but the pump didn't make a sound. It looks like a new unit in the gas tank but maybe the pump was a dud in the beginning. i hear the external pump kick in on the rail.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had bad pumps out of the box, I have had pumps stick from sitting, so yes all those things are possible.

You can beat on them sometimes and get them to go, while jumper ed to a battery but there is no guarantee it will work again tomorrow.

David D

Reaction score
Been dealing with Bronco II's for many years ( I'm down to 4 now) One of the most elusive but common problems I ran into on the fuel system was the emergency shut off switch beneath the passenger side carpet. The connectors will corrode from damp carpet and raise the line resistance to the point your fuel pump relay will over heat and shut down at the most random and inconvenient times possible. The first one I dealt with I think I replaced everything your p.o. did before I found the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke