2.9 to 4.0 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Hey Bronco, How did the retune go?

Did finally get the Bronco smogged and the code 41 seems to be fine at freeway speeds. Now it is more likely to pop the CEL driving around in a parking lot. When I think to keep one eye on the light it seems to pop when I close the throttle. I drive it quite regularly, need to check it out so it makes it to University of Oregon without any trouble. It runs great trans couldn't work any better the only thing I notice is that on a cold start the idle is all over the place until the engine is up to temp. I am about 70% back from the lung surgery, I can now do light duty things as long as I do stretching exercises first. One day soon I thinkI will take off the idle module off and see what I can see. It is sitting right on the side of the plenum and doesn't look too difficult.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thats awesome news!
Id check the base idle, also called hard stop. Warm it right up and let it idle with all accessories off. Unplug the idle speed control solenoid and it should drop to around 550,
If it stalls, clean the throttle body with aerosol throttle body spray and an old tooth brush and try again, if it still drops too low or stalls, adjust the throttle stop ***** until it idles at 550ish unplugged.
The new tuneup is working better, we had our best 60 foot times ever. We broke the diff and the output shaft in the trans, so no joy
Good luck
Cheers

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Well it obviously is putting out the horsepower, now to get it to the asphalt.

Believe it or not with an overstuffed garage, a backyard shed and an 18 foot morgan olson step van I dont have a hand held tach. Hopefully the one in the instrument cluster is reasonably accurate. I have had the plenum off several times playing with injectors and have cleaned it out the best I can with what passes for carburetor cleaner now days.

On a totally unrelated subject the step van speedometer quit working. I bought the thing really cheap and knowing what I know now I question the decision. It is an unlkely conglomeration of different systems. Chassis is Freightliner, now known as Damler, (German junk electronics). Cummins engine, Allison transmission and Morgan Olson body. Everybody supplied their own electronics, which makes chasing wiring a total nightmare. Do you happen to know anyone that can supply an all inclusive wiring diagram. I suspect the problem to be in the trans control module but would like to eliminate a wiring problem before spending $1200.00 on one.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thats the plan for Boise next month!
550ish is smooth but noticably slower than the 750 it idles at in neutral plugged in. Close should be good enough, they can adapt quite a bit.

Sorry, no idea on tge wiring diagrams

Cheers

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Good luck in Boise.

Found a new problem, BIG PROBLEM!. Been driving the bronco around quite a bit just to flush out potential issues before it heads north to Eugene. It has around a thousand miles on it and I was under the hood so pulled the dipstick. It took two quarts just to touch the stick, another two to fill it, in less than a thousand miles! I was about an eyedropper away from catastrophy. Question is where is it going? Nothing on the ground, tailpipe is clear, I can honestly state that I have never seen anything like this in my life. I do have synthetic oil in it, is it possible that the cat is eating it up? If so I wonder if that had anything to do with the smog problem?

Since obviously the engine has to come out, I am now back to wondering about a 4.0. If I can find a donor truck on insurance salvage I can swap everything out of the donor truck overhauling everything in the process. What year range would be the best. I have been looking at wrecked 05's because apparently that was the first year for OBD2 but those all seem to be the SOHC and that is too big a change, and from what I read they do have their problems. OHV is a simpler engine sooo. Story of my life, if something can go wrong it will definitely go wrong. 100% chance.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have run into some mysteries like that. Not sure if yours is the same but More than once I have had a vehicle drink a couple quarts of oil right after an oil change but once you top them off they are good for a few thousand miles.

no idea why.

Had a 96 bronco do this. My daughters equinox is doing it now.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
The more people I talk to and the more research I do the more convinced I become that an upgrade to an 05 would be a PITA but worth it. Apparently the SOHC is a better less fragile engine than the OHC. Less prone to cracking heads and some other things. Problem with that is I am in no condition to attempt that kind of a conversion right now. So the mechanic friends I have are uanimous in just doing a quick re-ring as the heads have recently been off, desert car maybe cracked?, and put the change off until next summer when I am in better shape. Also upgrading to an OBD2 eliminates all smog problems.

Only question in my mind is will the 05 trans work with my transfer case or do I need a 4WD donor vehicle?

Depending on when I locate a donor vehicle I have until July 25 to get everything overhauled and ready to install. When done it should have at least a couple hundred thousand miles in it for my granddaughter, assuming I can train her right on maintenance!

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Been doing research on the SOHC and find that the Germans were part of the design team which is all I needed to hear to know I wanted to have nothing t do with it. I did find that the later explorers use the 4.6 modular. I was running an LAPD repair shop in the 90's and even the cops couldn't destroy the modular or the trans behind it. Didn't realize you could shoehorn a modular under the hood. If I start with a running donor car it will be possible to swap everything from the donor car to my existing and build something practically bullet proof. No matter how much time it takes it will be worth it.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Been doing research on the SOHC and find that the Germans were part of the design team which is all I needed to hear to know I wanted to have nothing t do with it. I did find that the later explorers use the 4.6 modular. I was running an LAPD repair shop in the 90's and even the cops couldn't destroy the modular or the trans behind it. Didn't realize you could shoehorn a modular under the hood. If I start with a running donor car it will be possible to swap everything from the donor car to my existing and build something practically bullet proof. No matter how much time it takes it will be worth it.
That is the best idea Ive heard yet!
That 4.6 is the basis of the S/C 5.4 in my FrancenBronc.
Well worth the effort if you are up for the challenge!
Good luck
Cheers

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Well the 4.0 OHC has head problems. My existing 2.9 had the heads replaced and only has 69,000 on the clock. It was a desert car, cracked from heat? My research on the SOHD says that a lot of people were involved in the design team including the Germans. I may be 100% German second generation out of Germany but it is my firm belief that they, because of the way their minds work, are absolutely compelled to add as much over-engineering and unessary complexity to anything they build. When I was still a professional mechanic I finally reached the point that I refused to work on German cars. That was a lifetime ago and from what I understand they have not improved with age.

The 4.6 I know. Spent the 90's running an LAPD repair shop. When they changed from the Chevy's to Fords starting in 92, the engine life improved noticeably but the transmission life doubled. One of my captain's had a 95 Crown vic that started dripping coolant at about 5K. We put it up in the air and discovered that it had been running all that time without a left head gasket! That my friend is some pretty imressive machine work!

Obviously a 4.6 is a lot more engine than a 20 year old college girl needs in that short wheel base BII but perhaps Comp Cams can grind me something that will wound the performance and increase economy.

I am lookinng at an 08 explorer 4.6 auto 4WD on insurance salvage 190,000 on the clock. Slight rear end damage, runs and moves. I will know tomorrow if I can get it for my price. As long as nothing is broken, My plan is to overhaul everything before it goes in. I have until a year from July to start the swap. Should have a long life span.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you are changing your mind the 4.0 sohc. Yeah I have done tensioners a few times. Even with the best parts they will rattle on startup, which is supposed to be fine but it sure doesn't sound like it.

Did one and used a cloyes set, brand name right? Last 100 miles. Then found out cloyes had updated and I ended up with and old set.

Just a nightmare because you have to pull the engine, or transmission to do the pass side chain.

I was always telling people if they had an explorer 150k is pushing it. If the trans doesn't get you the timing chains will and often you will fix one and the other would fail within 10k miles.

I'll put heads on a ohv all day long before I do another set of sohc chains.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
My educated guess is that the rear chains were one of the German touches, looks and sounds exctly like something they would do.

Personally I would rather not do either and my experience says that the 4.6 will be the longest lasting of the trio. If cops can't tear them up, not many people can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat