1980 bronco running lights won't stay on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsebalj

Reaction score
I'm stumped with my 1980 custom bronco running lights... when I turn on my running lights, either alone or with you the headlights, running lights will automatically turn off in about 30 seconds...
It's like there's a fusible link. I can turn off the light switch, wait about 30 seconds, turn it on again, running lights come on again and then go off again in about 30 seconds!!!
I am the original owner, and all wiring is factory with no modifications..
If anyone can help, please email me at [email protected]
Thanks 👍

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I'm stumped with my 1980 custom bronco running lights... when I turn on my running lights, either alone or with you the headlights, running lights will automatically turn off in about 30 seconds...
It's like there's a fusible link. I can turn off the light switch, wait about 30 seconds, turn it on again, running lights come on again and then go off again in about 30 seconds!!!
I am the original owner, and all wiring is factory with no modifications..
If anyone can help, please email me at [email protected]
Thanks 👍
Do the headlights shut off as well if they are on?
There is an internal circuit breaker in the headlight switch assembly that used to fail causing the lights to intermittently turn off on their own.
A new headlight switch was the repair.
Hope that helps
Cheers

OP
OP
T

tsebalj

Reaction score
Do the headlights shut off as well if they are on?
There is an internal circuit breaker in the headlight switch assembly that used to fail causing the lights to intermittently turn off on their own.
A new headlight switch was the repair.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Thanks for the reply... headlights stay on ...also, turn signals and brake lights still work...all grounds are good... I'll replace the light switch as you suggested...that was going to be my next step and hope...
Thanks again for the reply 👍
Any ideas for replacement bucket seats?
Mine are beyond repair... If I'm not mistaken, I've read that seats 80 to 96 will work.. Thomas

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... headlights stay on ...also, turn signals and brake lights still work...all grounds are good... I'll replace the light switch as you suggested...that was going to be my next step and hope...
Thanks again for the reply 👍
Any ideas for replacement bucket seats?
Mine are beyond repair... If I'm not mistaken, I've read that seats 80 to 96 will work.. Thomas
check for melted plastic on the headlight switch main connector, they had bad connection issues leading to heat. If you find evidence, change the connector as well.
I have heard that as well about the seats, Im not sure though, most of mine have been 2nd gen Broncos.
Good luck
Cheers

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it is the headlight switch as well, has a circuit breaker or the switch itself might be partially melted.

There is a lot of room to work so you should be able to make any seat fit, but the flip portion for the passenger seat means you pretty much need a bronco seats

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68bronc