wont start when warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rustydonkey89

Reaction score
I have an 89 bronco with a 351w and it starts fine when it is cold, but after it warms up, the starter drags and it wont start. I have replaced the battery, starter, soleniod, and both battery cables. I rechecked the timing yesterday and it was a little off, but after I retimed it still does the same thing. I have had the truck for 7 months and it as always done it. It's really starting to get irritating. Any suggestions? I would be forever appreciated.

Seabronc

Reaction score
It seems to me that someone else had this problem a while back. Some times due to the location of the exhaust, the starter is overheated and causes it to act like a weak battery or bad starter. One solution is to isolate the two either with a heat shield or insulate the starter.

Another thing to check is the contact between the starter and the block, the starter uses this as it's ground connection, heat can cause a problem with this connection if it is not clean. Make sure it is clean, remove any rust and that the bolts are tightened properly. Check the ground connection to the block from the battery; remove, clean and re install it. There should also be a ground connection from a bolt on the back of the intake manifold to the fire wall, make sure it is not corroded.

I skipped some of the others, like your cable from the start solenoid to the starter, a poor or internally corroded lug to cable connection can also cause poor starting when hot. Also check and clean the solenoid end of the starter cable. I'm sure I've for gotten to mention something.

Good luck,

:)>-

Jerry D

Reaction score
I have an 89 bronco with a 351w and it starts fine when it is cold, but after it warms up, the starter drags and it wont start. I have replaced the battery, starter, soleniod, and both battery cables. I rechecked the timing yesterday and it was a little off, but after I retimed it still does the same thing. I have had the truck for 7 months and it as always done it. It's really starting to get irritating. Any suggestions? I would be forever appreciated.
I had the same problem. Mine was A master comp. problem. They replaced the comp and it never did it again

89Bronco58

Reaction score
haha it was me that had this same problem, replace the ground wire and run an extra one from the battery to the motor ( negative ), i also replaced the cable from the bettery to the selonoid, it will do the trick, im 99% sure its a ground problem

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula