won't warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sinker4

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Ford Bronco 5.0 with 143000 miles. Recently I added a temperature gauge so there are two sending units, one for the gauge and the other for the dash unit, I live in New England so the other day when the outside temp was 30 degrees the truck would not warm up to more than 170. I changed the thermostat, radiator cap and did a pressure test on the cooling system. I've checked the out let hose temp with an infrared temp gun and it reads 160. Why won't it get up to temp with a 195 thermostat.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Sinker,
Welcome!
Following by Ford;
"...
PINPOINT TEST C: ENGINE DOES NOT REACH NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE
C1 CHECK FOR FROZEN FAN CLUTCH
Did fan clutch pass test?
YesNo
GO to C2.REPLACE fan clutch. REFER to Cooling Fan Blade and Fan Clutch in the Removal and Installation portion of this section.
C2 CHECK THERMOSTAT OPERATION
  • Remove water thermostat and check opening temperature as outlined in this section.
Does water thermostat begin to open and become fully open at temperatures in the specifications at the end of this section?
YesNo
REINSTALL water thermostat and CHECK temperature gauge operation as outlined in Section 13-0REPLACE thermostat.

Radiator Cap Pressure Test

1. Remove the radiator cap from the radiator filler neck.
  1. Use water to clean the radiator cap in the area of the rubber seal and the vacuum relief valve as described in Radiator Cap in the Cleaning and Inspection portion of this section. Immerse the radiator cap in water to wet the seals and install on the shallow filler neck of Rotunda Radiator/Heater Core Pressure Tester Adapter 021-00013 or equivalent. (The adapter is designed to accept both deep and shallow neck radiator caps.)
  1. Before installing the radiator cap on the adapter, immerse the filler neck seal in water and install it in the filler neck adapter. If the adapter is made of plastic, check its sealing surfaces to be certain that they are free of rough spots and contain no parting lines or core marks.
    The filler neck seal is reversible so that it may be used on either a deep or shallow radiator filler neck. It will also fit either end of the radiator cap pressure test adapter.
  1. Install the filler neck adapter with filler neck seal on the deep filler neck end to the radiator cap pressure test adapter.
  1. Connect the female quick disconnect fitting of the pressure test pump to the male quick disconnect fitting of the filler neck adapter.

q1401f.gif

ItemPart NumberDescription
    18100Radiator Cap
    2Filler Neck Seal
    (Part of 107-01301)
    3Filler Neck Adapter
    (Part of 107-01301)
    4Quick Disconnect Fittings
    (Part of 107-01301)
    5Temperature Sender Pressure Hose Adapter
    (Part of 107-01301)
    6Pressure Test Pump 021-00013 or Equivalent (Part of 107-01301)
    7Pressure Relief *****
    (Part of 107-01301)
    8Radiator Cap Pressure Test Adapter (Part of 107-01301)
  1. SLOWLY depress the pump plunger of the pressure test pump until the pressure gauge reading stops increasing and note the highest pressure reading obtained. If the plunger of the pump is depressed too fast, an erroneous pressure reading will result.
  1. Release the pressure by depressing the pressure relief valve stem. Then, tighten the pressure relief ***** and repeat Step 6 (at least twice) to make sure the pressure test reading is repeatable within the acceptable gauge reading limits of the radiator cap and is not erratic. Refer to Specifications at end of this section.
  1. If the pressure test gauge readings are not within the acceptable gauge reading limits, replace the radiator cap, and perform the pressure test. If the pressure test gauge readings are within the acceptable gauge reading limits, perform the pressure test.

Thermostat, Water

Perform the following inspection at approximately 22°C (72°F).

If the problem being investigated is insufficient heat, inspect the water thermostat (8575) for leakage. Hold the water thermostat up to a lighted background. Light leakage around the water thermostat valve (water thermostat at room temperature) is unacceptable and the water thermostat should be replaced. A slight leakage of light at one or two locations on the perimeter of the valve of some water thermostats may be detected. This is considered normal.

OP
OP
sinker4

sinker4

Reaction score
I just replaced the thermostat and radiator cap and there was no change. I purchased a myty vac preasure tester and the cap was good and the radiator pressure held in the 13psi area for an hour. With the gauge at zero I started the engine and it stayed at zero indicating the head gasket was okay. I have found a small amount of anti freeze on the gararge floor from time to time but cant locate where its coming from since it blows back on the cross member. I'm leaning towards replacing the radiator, fan clutch and water pump since they are 26 years old. I dont use the truck in the winter because of the salt on the roads here in New Hampshire, my 84 bronco rusted away.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke