windshield installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyelltex

Reaction score
would it be doable to install a windshield as a driveway project? the manual simply says that i should take it to a shop to get it done.. but i would kind of rather do it myself if that is possible. any recommendations?

Seabronc

Reaction score
The hardest part would probably be getting the old one out. You need to cut the entire seal which is easier said than done. By the time you get it out you probably will be wishing you took it to a shop and let them do it for about $250.00. That is not to say you couldn't do it, but some jobs are worth letting someone else have all the fun :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
R

rebelyelltex

Reaction score
well i actually got the new one that i am going to use from a member of this site off his parts bronco. i didnt do much to help since they were kind enough to take it out themselves, but i have the know how now and all. what is the stuff i would need to install this one? ive got no idea what the glue was the factory used to get the windshield in there in the first place.

Cucamongan

Reaction score
Here is my .02

I have replaced one windshield and harvested (pulled) many more.

If removing a windshield, its just about necessary, to keep your sanity, to go buy a windshield removal tool. I bought the "deluxe" model with an extra blade for $17 at a specialty tool store (Tools-r-us). Without the tool, you WILL break a windshield or more before you do get one out sucessfully.

If your not removing a windshield, then you pretty much break out the old cracked/broken windshield. You do need to remove the outside (not inside) windshield molding, the chrome strip around the edge. You can remove this with a putty knife or flat head ***** driver, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL! you have to put that back on, so don't bend it! pry gently from the outside edge inward.

Once you have the windshield out, clean up the edge, removing all the old glue. if you scratch it, primer it or seal it becuase it might rust.

before you start, you then need 2 tubes of glue. I purchased some Betaseal U-418 Quick cure, Primerless to auto glass, Urethane Adhesive, made by Dow. I purchased then from a glass supply store and windshield replacer near my home for $6 per tube.

Get things ready to go, like the windshield nearby, rags in pocket, glue ready to go in glue gun, have plastic spacers ready to go. The plastic spacers are either black or white or whatever color. They hold the window up from the bottom so that it does not sag or go in too low and make a gap at the top.

Now, glue the edge of the windshield lip on the vehicle and put a nice bead all the way around and be sure to not get to little anywhere. Once the bead is in the place, set up the black plastic spacers (you should have them if you removed the old windshield, which spacers did not need to be removed). Place windshield in windshield hole (whatever its called) carefully, making sure it is centered side to side and that the spacers are in the corect place and height. Once centered, lay it in slowly, them apply pressure to all edges to make sure that they all seal, but dont squish them.

The windshield needs to be placed before any "scabbing" forms on the glue. if scabbed, clean it all off and try again. (scabbing will happen in about 10-15 minutes)

Now check your work and make sure that its all sealed and not leaking glue inside. clean up all meses. a double bead is NOT required, as the first bead should just be slightly oozing around the edges.

Now your done with the windsheild install, park in the sun for at least 3-4 hours before putting on trim.

Trim. Now attach all those pesky little clips that came off with the trim (or didn't come off) and reattach the moulding. if some glue prevents the clips attaching, you can cut some glue out of the way.

Wow... maybe I should write a book.

Hopefully this helps!

p.s. I get windshields from the boneyard for about $30, but my glue supplier just told me that he sells them new for $41 (only for trucks, as that is what he does). So supplies and parts and tools come out to about $60-80, and the cheapest replacement company around here charges $145 on their "yearly special"

- Cucamongan <)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno