whats up? from maryland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echo4Loaf

Reaction score
just tryin to get on the forums here to find some good ideas for my "new" bronco. always wanted one from when i was a little kid and finally at 23, went and got myself one for 800 bucks. its already fixing to be a money pit, but its gonna be fun for myself....and can you really put a pricetag on some fun? **** no.

alright, i don't know too much about working on this stuff, but we've got a hobby shop on base here for me to get my hands dirty at. and from what ive seen, parts are pretty cheap for the most part.

its a 1990 bronco xlt, auto tranny with a 5.8. i've got a decent base here to work from, but lots of work to do. first off the truck runs....decent. the radiator fluid is completely rusted out, so ive got to flush that out. also the transmission will knock when i put the truck from park/drive to reverse, and vice versa. ive been told that could be from the fluid being old. also, the engine has spring a couple leaks from the oil pan gasket as well as the valve cover gasket...and possibly from this other gasket, im not sure what its called, but pretty much im wanting to pull the engine and clean it off, pull it apart and replace the seals, etc. my dads been telling me i should bring the headers in to get cleaned out and checked while im at it. theres no oil being burned off at all from the engine, so i think that means the small block is good, only other thing i think i need to worry about is water being in there, not really sure how to check that though. main thing im really worried about for now is that tranny. but i've been thinking about doing a manual conversion anyways...im not really sure what thats gonna entail though and if i have an ongoing issue with my transmission once i get this fluid and filter changed how soon i should jump on that...id rather wait a bit and get the rest of the truck squared up. cleaned up and healed from previous owners bs. these guys spray painted the intake manifold and hoses red...not just that, they didnt even take them out first, so there is overspray all over the place. i dont think they understood that they could at least tape stuff off if they had to be that lazy. also they spray painted the whole truck black primer, this actually looks kinda cool. but again, overspray. no taping off. so theres specks of black paint on the chrome on the headlights, wing windows, all kinds of stuff. i also need to go through and replace the weather stripping for the moonroof, its not watertight. my exhaust is about 9 inches long as well after the catalytic converter.

.....now for my favorite part. this made me realize what an a-hole this truck is...my brake line blew out the other day on my forward right caliper i believe it was. not sure if it was the line or not. i cant jack the truck up right now cuz of a lack of tools for the moment and theres some kind of plate in the way of me seeing the caliper from the backside of the wheel. all i know is that i got the crap scared out of me and when i looked afterward i saw fluid trickling out from behind that plate.

this truck is gonna be a lot of work here and there, but its kinda a labor of love for myself. going through a divorce and custody issues coupled with being in the navy and running to afghanistan once a year. its gonna be nice to have a project to keep myself occupied in the meantime. i think its kinda ******** that i go to work on jet aircraft, knowing the ins and outs here and there....so why is it that i know more about the grumman ironworks ea-6b prowler than i do about my own damned car? anyways, im done typing now. its midnight in maryland, so ill have to get some pictures to post for you all tomorrow.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun, working on them creates a bond between man and machine. I'm into my second round of body work since I have owned mine.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke