Weird turn signal issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael1989

Reaction score
My turn signals weren't working, it was just a blown fuse, but overlooking that I took apart the steering column and replaced the cam and two black metal strips fell out. I didn't know how they went in so I left them out. I replaced the fuse and when I hit the left signal the front light and the indicator arrow flashes but not the tail light. When I hit the right signal the tail light flashes but not the front light or indicator arrow.

Krafty

Reaction score
usually when I take something apart and put it back together I make sure it is exactly the way it was before I started, those pieces that fell out probably have to go back in. find an exploded diagram of the steering column to figure out where.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
YO

Here is Parts Break-Out Diagram in 80-91 w/ Tilt, Upper Section, w/ Nomenclature; part of TSB 95-23-12 Non-Tilt Key Hard to Turn in Cold

columntilt-exploded.jpg

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Out Nomenclature; Miesk5 Note, No Bronco listed, so look at F 150; same as Ford diagrams

Source: by steeringcolumnservices.com @ http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/exploded-views.php

90 F 150 Non-tilt @ http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/exploded/5641.png

Do ya think that the metal peices are psrt of da snap ring?

==========

also, for posterity & possible future use;

TSB 95-23-12 Non-Tilt Key Hard to Turn in Cold

Publication Date: NOVEMBER 20, 1995

LIGHT TRUCK: 1988-91 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES

MEDIUM/HEAVY TRUCK: 1988-95 F & B SERIES

ISSUE: The ignition key may be hard to turn in cold temperatures on trucks equipped with fixed (non-tilt) steering columns. This occurs because the column lock actuator may not be properly lubricated.

ACTION: Lubricate the column lock actuator with silicone lubricant. Refer to the following procedures for service details.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Remove the steering wheel. Refer to the appropriate model year Bronco, Econoline, F-Series Service Manual, Section 13-06 for 1988-90 models and Section 11-04A for 1991 models. Refer to the 1991 F-FT-B 600, 700, 800 Service Manual, Section 13-06 and Section 11-04A for 1992-95 F & B Series vehicles.

3. Remove the two (2) bolts attaching the steering column support brackets to the pedal support bracket.

4. Mark the location of the ignition switch and remove it.

5. Remove the turn signal lever and turn signal switch.

6. Remove the lock cylinder.

7. Remove and throw away the snap ring from the upper steering shaft.

8. Using a light hammer, gently tap the steering shaft until the upper bearing is loose. Remove the upper bearing.

9. Loosen the upper ****** retention nuts until one or two threads remain engaged.

a. Pinch the nuts toward the shaft.

b. Remove the upper ****** from the outer tube.

10. Remove the column lock actuator.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean the grease from the column lock actuator and upper ****** using parts cleaner (F3AZ-19579-SA) or equivalent.

2. Apply silicone lubricant (COAZ-19553-AA) or equivalent to the column lock actuator and upper ****** where the actuator slides.

3. Install the column lock actuator into the upper ******.

4. Install the upper ****** onto the outer ******.

5. Install the steering wheel onto the steering shaft and hand tighten the steering wheel nut.

6. Pull up on the steering wheel until the steering column expands about 10mm (0.375").

7. Remove the steering wheel.

8. Press the upper bearing onto the steering shaft.

9. Install a new snap ring (DOAZ-3C610- B) on the steering shaft.

10. Using a small hammer, gently tap the steering shaft until the upper bearing is seated into the upper ******.

11. Install the lock cylinder.

12. Install the turn signal switch and turn signal lever.

13. Install the ignition switch.

14. Install the two (2) bolts attaching the steering wheel bracket to the pedal bracket.

15. Install the steering wheel.

16. Connect the battery ground cable.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

COAZ-19553-AA Silicone Lubricant

F3AZ-19579-SA Metal Brake Parts Cleaner

DOAZ-3C610-B Snap Ring

&

Turn Signal Switch Replacement & Repair Info w/Tilt Wheel in an 89; "...The white plastic that takes up half the column is the turn signal switch. The red box in the top right is the steering wheel lock. When you turn the key, it goes down. The switch is only held down by two screws. One where my ***** driver is, and another, same spot, on the bottom. When I removed by wheel, I saw my top ***** sitting at the bottom of the column. Once I put the ***** back in and tightened them both up, everything was fine. The switch now stays in place, and the lever is now able to push the tilt bar backwards, releasing the wheel. I didn't have to replace my switch, but you see how easy it is now if you must do it. I thought about it - everything's off right now...spend 30 bucks and never think about this again... But then again it took me 10 minutes to get to the switch - I'll save my 30 and go drop it at poker. Check out last photo... If your turn signal does not snap back after turning, read on. Wanted to quickly explain how that works. When you lit the lever, the switch locks in place (green box in pic). There is a little ring around the steering shaft. As you turn, that ring rotates around the shaft until a little block on the ring hits an arm (red box) and the arm releases the lock. When my whole switch was loose, it moved the ring up the shaft a bit, and the little block wasn't hitting the arm. If your lever doesn't snap back after a turn, either the ring moved up, or the plastic lever and/or arm on the switch broke..."

Source: by Brahma502 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/15076/71228

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo