Turbo Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
i have been working on a turbo set up for my truck for about 3 yrs now and with the help of a few friends it's slowly becoming a reality,the truck is parked right now with half the motor apart and all of the dog house.the hard part is where mount everything,when i put in the efi and some other odds and ends i have used up most of the available space so i'm having to have to move alot of stuff and heat wrap it and weld and cut and etc....

as soon as i get it running again (cross your fingers)i will send in pics.

one of my friends is running a 1980 short box with a 400 small block/tpi and turbo

the truck is unbelieveable if i can get a fraction of the power he got from the turbo then this should be one **** of a fun truck to drive.

if anyone has done anything like this before i'd like all the advice i can get,especially with the intercooler placement

thanks alot [-o<

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've been wanting to turbo my 429 for the last two years, but I want twin-turbos. Space isn't that hard to come by. Change the heater box, if you have too, and move the battery to the back, there's all the space you need

I'd really like to see any pictures you have of your setup, and of your buddy's

OP
OP
H

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
moving everything and lengthing wires and making mounts and trail fitting everything,you know what i'm saying it just a head ache sometimes.i've got alot of under hood equipment.just taking me awhile i only want to do this once and i don't want to be broke down some where because of an burnt wire loose connection whatever.

i've always liked this truck for it's reliabillity and i plan to keep it that way.just upgraded a little. >:)

yeah i think turbo is the way to go,i'm a little worried about lag with such a heavy truck but the efi,4.56's,and the stick should all take care of that problem.

i am looking for a good set of used heads for a 302/351

davids78bronco

Reaction score
Obviously, to take care of any lag, you'd use a smaller turbo, but then you chance top end power. If only there were a chart, that shows what turbo works for a type of engine. Are you going to be running an intercooler with that? My twin turbo plan calls for twin intercoolers, to be placed in the stock radiator location, and the radiator moved to the back. The radiator hoses will be changed to mandrel-bent aluminum pipe, with hose couplers at both ends of both pipes, finished with a large aluminum radiator.

This is one of the sites that I've drawn inspiration from - http://www.undrprsr.com/fairmont.html with mine going to be mounted this same wa. I forget which turbos I ran, but my desktop dyno showed, roughly, 1100hp and 12-1300 lb/ft of torque (I forget at which RPM). Heh, I figure this ought to throw a stripped-down Bronco thru the 1/4 in about 6-7 second range. Only time, and LOTS of money, will tell

OP
OP
H

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
the buddy i spoke of earlier is a turbo nut and for some ungodly reason i am listening to most of his recommendations,we have been discussing which i want to sacrifice low or top end.the problem is that noone has turbo charged a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a small displacement motor.depending on the configuration the desktop dyno says 550-800hp.I wasn't planning on rebuilding my motor but I guess it can sit for awhile.I want to stay a daily driver(hench the small block)

this project is very time consuming and expensive,as you mentioned i will be running an intercooler and an all alum.radiator from griffin.

currently we are mocking up the tubes and intercooler placement,take in mind that i have daul batteries,underhood welder,jacob's ignition,daul oil filters,daul trans filters,and an assortment of ogther under hood electronics.

i want to still have room to work on everything if something was to happen.

I don't know give me a couple weeks and we'll see where i'm at then.

thanks for the info,and intrest

davids78bronco

Reaction score
Dang, I didn't realize you had all that stuff under the hood, and still planned to use it as a DD! This is why I like turbos - the vehicle is still streetable, and ready to rock when you need/want it. But I'm also taking a far different approach than you are... I'm building a 460 for mine, and might be stroking it out to 514, or a 527, then adding the twin turbos to that - which is how I got the est'd 1100hp

Yup, this will be the learning experience I need, to learn how to build a C6 to handle all that power and torque :lol: And a reason I get to justify a 40-spline 9" rear

OP
OP
H

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
500+cubic inches is a bit too much for me,i'd pass everything except gas stations

my wife is already about to die from the last credit card bill,I could imagine a big block getting me a divorce.

hopefully this will work out I don't think i could tell her that i need a bigger motor!!

78beast

highboy ive got a 78 f150 w/ 351m and your friends turbo 400 peaked my interest

can you get some info and pics?

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
with all this going into a 4x4 truck wouldn't opting for the low end power be the best way to go? because the low end is what you use more in a 4x4 then a street truck.

78beast, trying to get the same out of your 351m as his friend is getting won't be as easy since he's got a 400 SBC. granted if you do your home work like davids and highboy you can make that 351m perform the same. but since the lack of alot of parts for the M, i'd do like davids and build a 460/429 as your starting point. don't get me wrong i'd love to see M block perform like that since i'm a fan of em. thay grew on me since the Big blocks couldn't hold up under me, but i can seem to **** the tired 351m in my 79 bronco and my 78 f150 has a freash 400 in it when i got it, it's turning out the same way..lol they may not have ground poundind hp/tq but they seem to take a lickin..but then again there fords! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Turbo77F1004X4

Reaction score
Guys, I'm From Australia and I'm in the middle of making my 77 F100 SWB 4X4 Turbo's also. I have a 351 Clevo Small bolck, built with H-Beam rods, grouted block etc etc (reported to be good for 800+hp), I will be running a gas research LPG system and motec Ecu will be controlling the Ignition and boost control. I will be running a single Garrett TA51, with final specs to soon be decided. I'm Chasing 700-800 Flywheel HP. I have used a HUGE single PWR intercooler and mounted it behind the Rad support panel, the Rad is then mounted behind this, I have made a custom serpentine belt set-up so i have enough room. The truck has 6" of lift and 35" tyres. I have some pics but have no idea how to post, if anyone would like to see some or host for me you can contact me at [email protected]

Thanks Glen

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
I have some pics but have no idea how to post, if anyone would like to see some
Turbo77, To post pics look just above where you click "add reply" you'll see "file attachments" if there already save on your computer click "browse'' then go to the folder there saved in highlight the pic file and click ok. then add reply it should post your pics.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar