Transmission problems, hopefully electrical?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TENNthreeper93

Reaction score
How goes it folks? I have a 94 Bronco 351 V8 with an automatic E40D. My upshifting, especially uphill, had been acting up for a while now. It had been slightly hesitating to shift from 1st to 2nd, lurching hard into 2nd when it did shift, usually high at about 2500-3000 rpm. Now this past Friday, six days ago, the old gal just decided she didn't want to go anymore. I drove home from work, about 25 minutes from the house, parked, and about an hour later, started up the truck and left. Maybe 100 yards down the road, after accelerating from a stop sign, she revved up, then the rpm dropped to 0. Now, when I accelerate from D, she revs to about 1200-1500, then drops, over and over again, under any variance of the throttle. Just rev, drop, rev, drop, rev, drop. No shift. Always at the same rpm. But if I put it into 1st or 2nd, it drives, just fine. I have been researching this transmission for quite a while now, and have learned quite a bit, thought I had the problem figured out, but now, I just don't know. Also, some information that I have found related in some articles.... My driver side tail light does not work, I have not checked yet to see if it is just the bulb or the cluster or what. The 4x4 lights came on recently and will not go off, both 4x4 high on the button and 4x4 indicator on the dash. I do not believe (though have not physically checked) that my 4x4 is engaging when I attempt to, seeing as I haven't attempted to use it other than to turn the lights off. My overdrive seems to work. No lights are flashing on the instrument panel. At the same time the truck stopped shifting from 1st-2nd, the 4x4 low light came on, and will not go off. I do not want to take it to a disreputable shop (my only choice in the area), and get screwed over. I am having the codes checked tomorrow morning (first day off since the truck stopped shifting). The check engine light does come on, randomly while driving, then goes off on its own. I attributed this for a long time to the fact that the guy I bought it from had the exhaust replaced minus the cats so I figured it was just the oxygen/O2 sensor. Also, the transmission was rebuilt in February 2014, with maybe 40,000 miles on it as of now. As far as I can figure, either the torque converter is locked, the 1st shift solenoid went out, or it's something in the neighborhood of the psom/mlps/pcm/vss lineup. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo TENNthreeper93,

Check that brake light bulb .. could be just shot. If so, replace it before the shop tests for codes.

Make sure you obtain the Codes from the shop.

If any problem, try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

Some basics;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

If possible, run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic).

Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER, if possible

4WABS:

4WABS Self Test & Test Connector Diagram, Component Locations, DTCs, 93-96; USE THIS PROCESS! "...The 4WABS TEST Connector is red; located at the left-hand side (driver's side) of the engine compartment and marked ANTI-LOCK TEST; Light Flash Technique 1. Note: If 12V test light is not available, the amber ABS warning light also flashes during this test. Locate test connector in the engine compartment and install 12V test light between Pins C and E. 2. With the ignition off, jumper Pin E to B. 3. Turn key to RUN position. 4. Remove jumper between Pins E and B after 5 seconds. 5. Count light flashes of test light or amber ABS warning light..." read more;

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/255501_1

by Ford via Steve

4WABS Self Test Connector pic in a 95 (near driver's side hood hinge)

Source: by s8c2 (the wagon) @

selftest.jpg

Post code(s) found here.

4WABS Overview; "...The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system (ABS) prevents wheel lockup by automatically modulating the brake pressure during an emergency stop. By not locking the wheels, the driver can improve steering control during hard braking and stop the vehicle in the shortest possible distance under most conditions. The ABS controls both front and rear brakes separately. The brake pedal force required to engage the ABS function may vary with the road surface conditions. A dry surface requires greater force, while a slippery surface requires much less force. During the ABS operation, the driver will sense a pulsation in the brake pedal, accompanied by a slight up and down movement in the pedal height. In addition, a mechanical noise from the engine compartment may be heard. The pedal effort and pedal feel during normal braking are similar to that of a conventional power brake system. When the brakes are applied, fluid is forced from the master cylinder outlet ports to the anti-lock hydraulic control unit (2C215) inlet ports. This pressure is transmitted through three normally open solenoid valves contained inside the anti-lock hydraulic control unit, then through the outlet ports of the anti-lock hydraulic control unit to the wheels. The primary (rear) circuit of the master cylinder feeds the rear brakes. The secondary (front) circuit of the brake master cylinder (2140) feeds the front brakes. If the anti-lock brake electronic control module senses that a wheel is about to lock, based on wheel speed sensor data, it pulses the normally open solenoid valve closed, for that circuit. This prevents any more fluid from entering that circuit. The anti-lock brake electronic control module then looks at the sensor signal from the affected wheel again. If that wheel is still decelerating, it opens the normally closed solenoid valve for that circuit. This dumps any pressure that is trapped between the normally open valve and the brake back to the reservoir. Once the affected wheel comes back up to speed, the anti-lock brake electronic control module returns the valves to their normal condition allowing fluid flow to the affected brake. The anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors the electromechanical components of the system. Malfunction of the Anti-Lock Brake System will cause the Anti-lock brake electronic control module to shut off or inhibit the system. However, normal power assisted braking remains. Malfunctions are indicated by the amber ABS warning light inside the vehicle. The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system is self monitoring. When the ignition switch is placed in the RUN position, the anti-lock brake electronic control module will perform a preliminary self check on the anti-lock electrical system indicated by a momentary illumination of the amber ABS warning light in the instrument cluster. During vehicle operation, including normal and anti-lock braking, the anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors all electrical anti-lock functions and some hydraulic operations. In most malfunctions of the anti-lock brake system, the amber ABS warning light will be illuminated. However, most malfunctions are recorded as a coded number in the anti-lock brake electronic control module memory and assist in pinpointing the component needing service. If system is OK, Code 16 will be present. The anti-lock brake electronic control module is located in the engine compartment behind the driver's side head lamp on a bracket mounted on the surface of the plastic fender apron. It is an on-board diagnostic, non-repairable unit consisting of two microprocessors and the necessary circuitry for their operation. These microprocessors are programmed identically. The anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors system operation during normal driving as well as during anti-lock braking. In addition, the anti-lock brake electronic control module provides a speed signal to the programmable speedometer/odometer module (PSOM). Under normal driving conditions, the microprocessors produce short test pulses to check the electrical system without any mechanical reaction. The anti-lock brake electronic control module continuously monitors the speed of each wheel to determine if any wheel is beginning to lock. When a wheel locking tendency is detected, the anti-lock brake electronic control module signals the appropriate solenoid valve in the anti-lock hydraulic control unit (2C215) to open or close as well as the pump motor to turn on and recycle brake fluid back to the brake master cylinder (2140). This results in moderate pulsations of the brake pedal (2455) and pump noise which may be heard in the passenger compartment. During normal braking, the brake pedal feel will be identical to a standard brake system. Most concerns which occur to the anti-lock brake system will be stored as a coded number in the Keep-Alive Memory (KAM) of the anti-lock brake electronic control module. This means that once a code is stored, it will be retained by the anti-lock brake electronic control module even with the key in the OFF position. The codes can be retrieved by following the on-board diagnostic procedures. A new light truck 4-Wheel ABS was introduced as standard equipment on the 1993 Explorer and Bronco, and it was revised in 1994 on Broncos, requiring a different control module revision for 94-96 Broncos, compared to the original 93 Bronco module. Although this system shares some of the features of passenger car 4-Wheel ABS and some of the features of light truck Rear ABS (RABS), it has its own unique features, especially when it comes to diagnosing concerns. Here are some general features of the light truck 4-Wheel ABS, some of which are common to the other systems as well: System prove-out at vehicle start-up of the light truck 4-Wheel ABS is the same as for passenger car and 4-Wheel light truck ABS. The amber anti-lock warning light will come on as soon as the vehicle is turned on or started to verify bulb operation, and will go out after 2-3 seconds, provided everything is normal. The 4-Wheel ABS operates in 4 x 4 as well as 4 x 2. In ABS mode, the brake pedal will pulsate and the pump motor noise may be heard from the engine compartment. When ABS codes are read out, code 16 will be present if the system is OK. This code is similar to the EEC's code 111. It basically means that the 4-Wheel ABS Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is indicating that everything is functioning properly electrically. In other words, the components, such as the pump motor and the valves, will activate when needed. Conventional bleed is all that is required for service on the new 4WABS including unhooking brake lines from the hydraulic controller (HCU). However, if the HCU is replaced, a special bleed box and electrical jumper will be required to bleed the replacement HCU. This procedure is not the same as for the passenger car systems...." by Ford

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TENNthreeper93

Reaction score
Hey there miesk5, just wanted to let you know that I did take the truck to the shop this morning for a diagnosis. These are the codes they found. 

633 4x4 Switch Closed

691 4x4 Low Circuit Failure

452 Open Vehicle Speed Sensor

When I first started noticing a late harsh shift upon throttle depression, I began studying the truck and that lead me first to the VSS. I have a feeling this is the culprit. Thoughts?

OP
OP
T

TENNthreeper93

Reaction score
I have also read that the code could be thrown by the RABS and PSOM. Seeing as the speedo isn't fluctuating, I disregarded the RABS. Which leaves me with VSS and PSOM. 

OP
OP
T

TENNthreeper93

Reaction score
Your DTC 452 hyperlink on that post seems to be gone. Reads 500 internal server error. 

As far as the self test for the 633 4x4 switch closed self test, what would I need and how would I go about performing the test? I'm really not sure what all that could entail being an issue. I don't know much about electrical.

Same with the 691 4x4 Low circuit failure, if it's electrical, I'm stumped lol. 

As far as the 452 Open VSS, should I just replace the VSS or is your post on the DTC 452 more informative? I don't want to waste money on the sensor if that wouldn't fix it, but I figured since it was throwing a code, replacing it would solve the problem? I had planned on just ordering the part. Also, I did find a post on which you had commented on the same subject when I was perusing FSB where you had stated that there were some issues with the aftermarket VSS sensors and had recommended the guy use motorcraft, which I can't seem to find a vendor who can order it. I don't have the option at the moment of ordering online. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

http://broncozone.com/topic/23049-e40d-transmission-issues/

Works for me, try it again. Some of this set of tests includes use of Ford's old Break-Out Box. See below for info.

The aftermarket sensors are of poor quality. Try one from a local yard from 92 to 95 Bronco if yard will give money eyes back guarantee.

Have a local Ford dealer to purchase the VSS?

Catalog Results / 1994 Ford Bronco Parts / Part Details

Part Name: ABS Sensor

Brand: Motorcraft

Part Number: 2L373(BRAB-130)

Price: $37.20

Quantity: 1

Or Select a dealer for their prices and availability

Part Description: Located in rear axle housing, used as ABS sensor.. Ford changes description often and use, for 92 to 96 Bronco, the VSS is used for the 4WABS, psom, & through the PCM for e4od control and cruise control.

Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

Package Quantity: 1

Weight: 0.20 lbs

Dimensions: 6.00 IN x 4.00 IN x 0.00 IN

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=EXvnmLepXEl4j%2bCyX9WzjA%3d%3d&id=356575808&m=2&search=true&year=1994&make=Ford&model=Bronco

633 4x4 switch closed self test indicates that the transfer case 4x4 switch was on. Probably caused 691 4x4 Low circuit failure as well if the transfer case is operating OK.

Or,

this set of tests includes use of Ford's old Break-Out Box; so, as I mentioned in another thread here; In place of the break-out box, go to the EEC connector pin instead; Substitute EEC connector pin Number for breakout box number

EEC Connector Pin Diagram

Source: by Fireguy50 (Ryan M) at

http://web.archive.org/web/20131229163930/http://oldfuelinjection.com/images/eec04.gif/

EEC Connector Pin LEGEND Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8;

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at Ford Fuel Injection

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_146159523966511&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=ing3zwkl01000bgv000MAb2wnuoon&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fullsizebronco.com%2Fforum%2F21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone%2F399882-code-654-a.html&v=1&title=Code%20157...%20-%20Ford%20Bronco%20Forum&txt=Ford%20Fuel%20Injection&out=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F20131029020805%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Foldfuelinjection.com%2Ftruckpinouts.html

DTC 691 4x4 selector fault (observed in Continuous Self-Test) is set when a stored Kam value for N/V (engine rpm/vehicle speed) is compared to a calculated N/V for the current switch position and driving condition. If these checks disagree, DTC 691 is set.

Possible Causes:

Damaged 4x4 Low switch or 4x4 selector lever position.

Shorted harness.

Damaged PCM.

Internal damage to transfer case.

Is the 4x4 lever positioned in 4x2/4x4 high?

Yes GO to TB4.

No RERUN KOEO Self-Test with positioning selector in 4x2/4x4 high.

TB4 CYCLE THE APPROPRIATE CIRCUIT:

(4x4 LOW)

Key off.

Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.

Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.

Key on, engine off.

For 4x4 Low circuit:

Measure voltage between Test Pin 12 and Test Pin 40/60 at the breakout box while moving the 4x4 select lever between 4x2 and 4x4 Low several times.

For TCS circuit:

Measure voltage between Test Pin 41 and Test Pin 40/60 at the breakout box while cycling the transmission control switch several times.

Does the voltage cycle?

Yes REPLACE PCM.

No REMOVE breakout box. RERUN Quick Test.

For a driveability symptom only: GO to TB7.

For a DTC: GO to TB5.

TB7 CHECK OUTPUT DRIVER SIGNAL

Note: When entering this Test Step with a symptom or a Self-Test Pass code, first disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.

Key off.

Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.

Key on, engine off.

For 4x4 Low circuit:

Switch disconnected.

Measure voltage between Test Pin 12 and PWR GND at the breakout box (ohmmeter negative probe).

For TCIL circuit:

Measure voltage between Test Pin 32 for E/F/B Series Trucks, Test Pin 14 for 3.2L SHO or Test Pin 55 for all others and PWR GND at the breakout box (ohmmeter negative probe).

Are both voltage readings at least 2.0 volts?

Yes GO to TB8.

No INSPECT for damaged indicator bulb (4x4 Low LED or TCIL) or damaged fuse in fuse panel. If OK, SERVICE open circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.

TB8 CHECK CONTINUITY OF THE 4x4 LOW OR TRANSMISSION CONTROL SWITCH HARNESS

Key off.

Breakout box connected, PCM disconnected.

Appropriate switch disconnected.

For 4x4 Low circuit:

Measure the resistance between Test Pin 12 at the breakout box and 4x4 Low circuit at 4x4 Low switch touch drive module vehicle harness connector.

For TCS/TCIL circuit:

Measure the resistance between keypower at the fuse panel (fuses) (ohmmeter positive probe) and power side of transmission control switch vehicle harness connector (ohmmeter negative probe).

Measure the resistance between Test Pin 41 at the breakout box and signal side of transmission control switch vehicle harness connector.

Are both resistances less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes GO to TB9.

No SERVICE open circuit(s). REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.

TB9 CHECK HARNESS CIRCUIT(S) FOR SHORTS TO POWER

Key off.

Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.

Appropriate switch disconnected.

For 4x4 Low circuit:

Measure resistance between Test Pin 12 and Test Pin 37/57 at the breakout box.

For TCS/TCIL circuits:

Measure resistance between Test Pin 41 and Test Pins 37/57 at the breakout box.

Measure resistance between Test Pin 32 for E/F/B Series Trucks, Test Pin 14 for 3.2L SHO or Test Pin 55 for all others and Test Pins 37/57 at the breakout box.

Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes REPLACE damaged switch, either 4x4L range switch or transmission control switch (TCS) due to DTC received. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM. RERUN Quick Test.

No SERVICE short circuit(s). REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.

Try locking the Hubs and run the Bronco back and forth a few times .. should operate 4x4 at least once a month to **** the Hubs and case.

Here it is...

"Do not drive on hard surface roads in 4-wheel drive because it can cause drive train damage. Do not move the vehicle if the hubs are anywhere between “FREE” and “LOCK” or it will damage the hublocks. Driving with only one hublock engaged can cause drive train damage. Driving with the hublocks in ”FREE’’ and transfer case in 4-low can cause drive train damage. To ensure lubrication of the front axle, engage hublocks for a minimum of one mile monthly..."

Source: by Warn®

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TENNthreeper93

Reaction score
Alright I guess I'll go ahead and deal with the VSS and hope that's it. Since it is a common issue anyways, and it's cheap, I suppose replacing it can't hurt. As far as the 4x4 issue, the 4x4 did work in both high and low prior to maybe 4 months ago when the light originally came on. It would sporadically, and as far as I could tell, with no cause, come on and then just as mysteriously go off. Now all 4x4 indicator lights both switch and panel are on. One thing I didn't mention which I don't think is related, is that the passenger side 4x4 hub seems to be leaking gear oil, which is also a new development. I assumed it was just an o ring or something within the hub because it is only coming out in the one place, between the wheel and hub on the outside face. I will try and have some of that 4x4 troubleshooting done asap. I do try to drive it once or twice a month in 4x4. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,OK

I know that the tests are complicated and confusing, but at least you know what a shop would do to diagnose the issue.

Do you have manual hubs?

OP
OP
T

TENNthreeper93

Reaction score
No they're the original auto. I want to go manual asap. I've window shopped around, don't know much about the differences in what's offered though. The prices fluctuate quite a bit. From what I've read and what I've been told, the gear oil is likely from an outer o ring within the hub, those I have talked to about it have said that all I would need to do is remove the cap and open up the hub, o ring should be right there. Really probably should get around to that, but I didn't figure it would hurt it if I wasn't running 4x4. I might be wrong on that though, pretty new to this sort of thing. I've done more work on cars than trucks lol. 

But yeah I understand the process, at least the basics. I would attempt to do what you've said but I don't have access to any of the required tools/parts, namely the breakout box. I could read codes, but since I had a shop do it for free, that kind of seems a moot point lol. 

OP
OP
T

TENNthreeper93

Reaction score
So Miesk, I just got back from Mississippi, had to go pick my nephew up from visiting with his dad, and finally had time to swap that VSS sensor out. Sensor looked a little different, but fit and connected fine. It matched up to the part number you gave me, though it had a new part number, since they have changed their system up a bit lately. It did absolutely nothing for my problem. Still acting exactly the same. Put it in drive, hit the throttle, rev up to about 1500, drop to 0. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

OK.

Can the shop do the pin-point tests? Including DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11?

Here is the 452 link,, it works for me;

http://broncozone.com/topic/23049-e40d-transmission-issues/

as I mentioned in another thread here; In place of the break-out box, go to the EEC connector pin instead; Substitute EEC connector pin Number for breakout box number

EEC Connector Pin Diagram

Source: by Fireguy50 (Ryan M) at

http://web.archive.org/web/20131229163930/http://oldfuelinjection.com/images/eec04.gif/

EEC Connector Pin LEGEND Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8;

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://web.archive.org/web/20110904020447/http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

A Ford dealer would charge boo-koo $$$ for the tests. A local automotive electric shop may be less costly.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

OK. I would do same because I am now beyond crawling under the Bronco, let alone leaning over engine to pull connectors.

Recentlyrics a friend who had a similar pin-point test to perform took his Bronco to a local Ford dealer and the basic diagnostic cost was $188.00 for just the code test, visual inspection of wiring, harnesses, connectors and usual suspect components such as the VSS. Never heard back from him on what

Dealer charged for the pin-point test.

Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke