Transmission ID tag ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I was just bolting in the new AOD and I spotted a metal ID tag attached to the rear of the housing. I've never seen one before and there isn't one on the tranny that came out of it. Anyone know how to read them : There are 3 lines of code.

1st line is PKBY

2nd is 010588 G30

3rd is E8TP LA

Anyone have a clue ?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yup, I agree but here's the rub. One of my factory manuals just showed up today & fortunately it was the body/chassis/electrical (Volume A for those who care). While there wasn't anything about tags in the AOD chapter I *DID* find this in the C6 chapter at the beginning of the tranny section. A little more info (or pieces of the puzzle if you want to look at it that way). I know for a fact that this tranny came out of an 87' (I went back a couple wks ago w/Billy & grabbed the cap from the same truck the tranny came out of so I was able to confirm it was an 87') and I *also* know the tranny is a Ford remanufactured unit (has a tag from Fred Jones Ford, a Ford authorized distributor of reman'd parts, plus the case has been cleaned & painted. NOT something Ford does from the factory). The other AOD's I've seen haven't had a parts tag on them like this so I'm thinking that since the truck was an 87' and the transmission was remanufactured it has an info tag on it so that a service tech will be able to look up what all internal changes have been made. I refer you to the attached sections of the factory manual that explain *some* of the info on the tag. From what I can gather, PKB-Y is the transmission model number, 010588 will be the date code and E8TP-LA will be the assembly plant. Now the way *I* read the Ford manual that leaves G30 as the mystery number representing whatever internal changes have been made in the tranny. I know it would make sense to upgrade it because everything I read says that the 88' & later AOD's are the ones to use for rebuilding. Something about better oiling if I recall correctly but I DO know that those are the ones you're supposed to look for, so it wouldn't surprise me to see an 87' with a blown transmission getting a reman'd unit retrofitted with the post 88' updates and then getting a tag attached to it so that other techs further on down the road would know what it had & what parts to order.

Tranny_tag1.gif

Tranny_Tag.gif

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well I went to my local dealership parts dept today, brought the tag & asked them to decode it for me. They confirmed a lot of what we thought. PKB-Y is the code for an AOD transmission. 010588 confirms the build date as being Jan, 5th, 88 and E8PT-LA is the part # for a reman'd AOD complete with torque-converter. This just leaves G30 as the only mystery number and I'm not sure just WHAT it means or refers to. I have all *sorts* of manuals & Emails suggesting it means all sorts of things but nothing that I can rely on as the real deal. From what the Parts Monkey (and I don't use the term as a slur, not with Ford guys anyways) had to say it basically meant that the tranny has been upgraded to the 88'+ design with the improved oiling to the rear shaft & a larger OD servo. So hurray for me, I guess ? To be honest I think the whole point is kinda moot since I'm pretty sure the root of the whole damn problem was the fact that the flywheel had sheared into two completely seperate parts and there was just no way that the new 2-piece part was transfering the torque from the engine to the tranny via the torque converter, just wasn't happening.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
That does throw a curve ball at the codes, being a reman tranny. Not sure if the tag is original, or the reman facility put it on. About all I know about the AOD is that it was only used about 4 years, since it's a bad tranny compared to the C6 or even the E4OD. There was a link I posted recently about "bulletproofing" the AOD, found it searching thru Miesk5's Homepage. Hopefully, you got the upgrades to help out with the weak points in the early AOD. I thought you mentioned in another psot about the pan design, too. I ran across another thread about trouble shifting with the AOD. It had to do with the filter design in the 2WD vs the 4WD versions of the AOD. All I can say is good luck with it, and hope you got a good warranty with the reman unit. I'm hella bad on trannies, and always look for the best warranty I can find since I'm not able to rebuild them on my own. JSM84

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Actually the AOD was introduced in 1980 & phased out in 1992. They aren't terribly bad, it's mainly the dual concentric input shafts that make them weak w/anything over 400Hp. Is it really fair to compare *anything* to a C6 ? Internally the AOD is very similar to the old FMX & the Cruise-O-Matic (had one of those in a sweet 75' Tbird but that's off-topic and way too many moons ago, but *damn* that was a nice car. You have to appreciate anything with 5 ashtrays & 7 cigarette lighters, that's like Disney brand cigarettes, they just don't make'em anymore). I like the AOD because it's a purely mechanical OD, doesn't need a processor to run it and you get the OD that the C6 lacks. Granted the AOD-E's are more efficient but I kinda appreciate anything that you can just bolt-in and run. Now having said that I *still* need to set the throttle pressure on this new one before I can take it anywhere :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Maybe there IS something to be said for the AOD-E's & 4R70W's :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I still need to take a look at the one that came out of it. You were right about the ones w/the **** in the oil pan being 4x4 transmissions so I have no idea *what* the one that was in there came out of. Near as I can tell the ones like that with "metric" embossed on the pans were early model car AOD's. Maybe someone swapped pans or they installed a 4x4 tailshaft housing onto one & stuffed it in there. Considering this is the same truck that some clown swapped over from electric 4x4 to manual & then installed a new carpet in but *forgot* to reinstall the Xfer case shifter (how do you forget something like that ? It's like getting halfway home before realizing you left your kid at the mall) Who the **** knows ? I still need to fix the bullet holes in the thing.

It's a Reman'd tranny but I only know that because it has a tag on it from the place that rebuild/sold it. I got it out of an 87' here at a local junkyard. I picked it up because I was fairly sure I'd blown 1st gear in the one that I *had* in there, it was revving up to 2K and only moving at about 7mph. However, once I got the old tranny out & discovered I had a 2-piece flywheel I realized that the tranny I'd just removed was probably just fine & the slippage between the inner & outer flywheels was probably the reason it had no power. Sooooo, I now have an AOD on the garage floor that's probably just fine and another one that's been reman'd is in the truck. If figure if I have any problems with what's in there I'll just have the garage tranny rebuilt and go thru this drill a second time. Now that I know unbolting the motor mounts makes life a whole lot easier I probably won't have to throw nearly as many empties at the thing. My neigbors will be disappointed but but I never signed any sort of contract to be their entertainment system, they can buy a dish just like I had to (even though *I* am much more entertaining than that a$$hole Tom Brady. NFL Dynasty my a$$).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar