Transfer case binding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gettin there

Reaction score
Ran into a little problem that left me wondering. We have a completly rebuilt the drive train from front to back. Drove around the block in 4wd using front end for weeks waiting on a pay check to order new rear driveshaft.

Now that the rear shaft has been installed it drives like a champ. Locked her in 4wd H only to have the transfer case lock up in 4wd H. It drove fine. However, could not unlock hubs or shift out of 4wd. Backed up for 30' trying to release and when we rocked by hand to see what was sticking it felt like the brakes were locked up.

Long story longer. Jacked up rear end to have a look and in the process the rear tires rotated 1/8 to 1/2 a turn backwards. Everything released and works like new.

The ring & pinions are the correct ratio.

Is it normal for this much binding to occur on hard surfaces?

Thanks!

Pics to follow.

Yardape

Reaction score
No it shouldn't bind that bad. I would have to suggest that the ring and pinions are different. Even though you say they are the same, Did you count for yourself or take someone elses word for it? It is also possible that they got stamped wrong or were put in the wrong box right? Humans do make mistakes sometimes.

Yardape

Reaction score
Another thing to check is tire size, they have to be identical front to rear.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
No it shouldn't bind that bad. I would have to suggest that the ring and pinions are different. Even though you say they are the same, Did you count for yourself or take someone elses word for it? It is also possible that they got stamped wrong or were put in the wrong box right? Humans do make mistakes sometimes.
Trying to reply. I'm very new at this.

I will check my notes prior to install. Hope they are right. I hate to pull em again and have to pay to redue.

Thanks!

S_bolt19

Reaction score
That almost sounds like you have different R&P ratios. Like one is a 3.50 & the other is 3.73. You can check by putting it up in the air, mark a spot on the driveshaft and one on the tire, then have someone lay under it and rotate it. Make sure it is in 4wd and the hubs are locked in to be able to do the front. I would rotate the tires at least 10 times that way it gives you a big enough margin to be able to tell the difference from front to rear. If you had a 3.50 & a 4.11 you probably would have really messed something up, but the 3.50/3.73 is close enough that it only caused a little binding. Still, if they are outta wack by doing this, I would pull the 9" before I did the D44 because it is easier to work on.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
That almost sounds like you have different R&P ratios. Like one is a 3.50 & the other is 3.73. You can check by putting it up in the air, mark a spot on the driveshaft and one on the tire, then have someone lay under it and rotate it. Make sure it is in 4wd and the hubs are locked in to be able to do the front. I would rotate the tires at least 10 times that way it gives you a big enough margin to be able to tell the difference from front to rear. If you had a 3.50 & a 4.11 you probably would have really messed something up, but the 3.50/3.73 is close enough that it only caused a little binding. Still, if they are outta wack by doing this, I would pull the 9" before I did the D44 because it is easier to work on.
Thank s for the tip. Much better than the approach I was going to take. I will try it today.

We did take her for a ride in 2wd. Drove it like it was stolen! If it is this much fun in 2wd I can't wait to lock in 4wd.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22