throwing codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

druugscd

Reaction score
I ran the test to check the codes on my 94 bronco xlt 5.8 and have come up with this...

key on engine off throws a 628 which i think means MLUS Failure

key on engine on throws a 116 which i think means Out of range Engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT)

Any ides on what this means and how to fix it?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Congradulations on pulling codes! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't know what MLUS stands for, but

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=52

says 628 is Converter clutch Lock-Up error (E4OD)

Sorry, that I can't help you with that code.

116 ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.

Here is some info on the ECT.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=28

I'd check my coolent level, the electrical connection to it. Test with a digital multimeter, to make sure that it is getting 5 volts from the PCM.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Good job Joe!

Also,

E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) Flashing Diagnostic Trouble Codes 62, 628 and/or 1728 & transmission shifts hard for 90-96 TSB 98-4-19

Source: by Ford via miesk5 (Al M) at comcast.net

LIGHT TRUCK:

1989-97 F SUPER DUTY, F-250 HD, F-350

1989-98 ECONOLINE, F-150, F-250 LD

1990-96 BRONCO

1997-98 EXPEDITION

1998 NAVIGATOR

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the vehicles listed.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit a flashing Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) 62, 628, and/or 1728 may be stored in memory. These DTCs can be set by any internal transmission element slippage or potentially by torque converter slippage.

ACTION:

Refer to the following text when servicing these codes.

NOTE:

WHEN SERVICING A VEHICLE WITH A FLASHING TCIL WITH DTCS 62, 628 AND/OR 1728, DO NOT REPLACE THE TORQUE CONVERTER UNLESS PROPER DIAGNOSIS HAS PROVEN THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO BE THE CAUSE.

Always verify the customer concern. Proper diagnosis for DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 may require talking to the customer to find out if there were any other symptoms associated with the TCIL flashing, (i.e., shift concerns, erratic/early/late, proper torque converter operation, etc.), prior to noticing the TCIL flashing.

Prior to transmission repairs for DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 or investigating other causes, repair all non-related transmission DTCs first, then repair all other transmission DTCs other than 62, 628 and/or 1728.

Some of the other causes that may result in DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 are as follows:

- Aftermarket modifications (i.e., performance enhancers, electrical modifications, etc.)

- Missing shifts (some/all)

- Transmission fluid leakage (internal and/or external)

- Erratic shift timing

- Valves, springs or retainers in the main control/accumulator body not assembled correctly, binding or sticking

- Check balls missing and/or mislocated. Damaged, unable to seal/seat properly

- Higher or lower than normal line pressure

- Transmission fluid restrictions and/or level

- Erratic/inoperative vehicle speed and/or rpm sensor

- Poor engine performance concernsAny vehicle system concerns that could cause the strategy to detect a perceived internal slippage or change in the expected rpm of internal transmission rotating components may cause DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 to set.

NOTE:

ONCE DTCs 62, 628 AND/OR 1728 SET, OTHER TRANSMISSION FUNCTIONAL DTCs MAY NOT SET.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

94-2-26

96-10-14

SUPERSEDES: 98-1-23

WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 504000, 510000, 614000, 698298

\\\\\\\\\\\

DTCs 62, 628 & 1744 Converter Overheat, High Line Pressure ; "...E4OD/4R100 transmissions often have problems with converter overheat, codes 62, 628, 1744, high line pressure and low cooler. The OEM valve can close off critical converter/cooler circuit under high-demand situations, causing the TCC to drag on and glaze the lining at idle, or restricting converter/cooler charge during high load causing converter slip codes, overheat and **** failures. flow. Sonnax now offers an upgraded line-to-**** pressure regulator valve 36424-04K with a patented internal line-to-**** passage with anti-drainback check valve, and a revised balance-end orifice. While drilling the pump casting will allow full-time flow to the cooler circuit, it is not precise and allows converter drainback, causing delayed engagements complaints. A revised balance end orifice is built into the valve and ensures sufficient oil is fed to the end of the PR valve to keep the valve in the proper regulating position and further preventing converter/ cooler flow restrictions. This is a drop in replacement that requires no machining..."

Source: by sonnaflow.com

DTC 628; "...code 628 can be caused by a mechanical problem or electrical problem. First thing to do is to check power to the solenoid connector at the transmission. These solenoids are 12 volt solenoids, not 5 volts......I have attached a few pictures for reference. Unplug the transmission connector and check the VPWR wire for 12 volts first with the key on at the harness itself. Then if OK, check the solenoid resistance with an OHM meter on the 200 OHM scale through the pin on the connector coming out of the transmission marked TCC & VPWR pins. Should be 0.98 to 1.6 OHMS as MTB has said. I usually used a special transmission tester tool, but this is the only way you can do it. I have seen many of these code 628 in the past, and I'm sorry to say 95% have been internal Mechanical failure. These tests for the solenoids are only going to tell you if the solenoid is open or within spec. It will not tell you if a piece of junk is stuck in the solenoid causing it to bleed pressure to the TCC, therefore giving you a rough running engine, shuddering feeling or stall in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear caused by the Torque converter clutch being applied at the wrong time..."

Source: by Fordace at lincolnsonline.com

-------------

DTC 116;

most important is "...The engine temperature must be greater than 50

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

druugscd

Reaction score
wow....thank u both for the help. it is def appreciated. thanks again

Members online