Sixliter tune up on a 5.8L carb ... question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laborrega

Reaction score
I'm guessing everyone on here has heard of the "SixLiter" tune up.

Me question is, should I be using the same parts for my 85 - 5.8L carbbed engine?

Also should I use the larger gap or stick with the stock gap?

What about the timing? 13 degrees? Or 10 degrees?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Ok I googled it. Fancy name for what us old school hotrodders have been doing for 4 decades.......well for 3 decades, since the introduction of HEI.

The new coil and related parts are to produce and handle a higher voltage spark. The idea of higher voltage is to be able to jump a wider gap in the plugs. Wider gap gives more spark to ignite fuel. If you don't make the plug gap wider the purpose of the higher voltage is wasted. (I have run some Gm engines with as much as .0090 gap) be aware the wider the gap the more strain on the secondary system, in exchange for an increase in performance.

The timing is something you need to play with depending on alot of factors. Set it at 14, ( don't forget the spout connector), drive it, and if it knocks at acceleration, or under load, dial it back till it doesn't

Maybe you should call it the "old school" or "Rodders" tune up. I used to do this almost every weekend on my, or someone's ride.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I'm guessing everyone on here has heard of the "SixLiter" tune up.

A name used by some who have read the tuneup procedure written up by "SixLiter" at FSB

Me question is, should I be using the same parts for my 85 - 5.8L carbbed engine?
What ignition system do you currently have? EEC or Duraspark II

Also should I use the larger gap or stick with the stock gap?
With a hotter spark use the gap recommended by the coil manufacturer

What about the timing? 13 degrees? Or 10 degrees?
13 is the what I use with the MSD Blaster coil an the stock distributor. You can also do a mechanical tune up on the distributor. Also, like Ron said, you may have to play with it by taking it out on the road and adjust to the results you get on acceleration.

OP
OP
L

laborrega

Reaction score
Thanks guys ... I will be following these steps to get more out of the engine.

I will let you know how it goes.

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BTW this is what I will be using:

Cables: MSD 31229

Plugs: Motorcraft SP450

Coil: MSD Coil - High Performance 8227

Cap & Rotor: MSD Ignition Distributor Cap and Rotor Kit 8482

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics