Signal to Fuel Injectors...sometimes. No start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimC25

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and Bronco ownership and am hoping for some direction on where to go with this. I recently picked up an '89 Bronco with a 5.0. Was told it last started a few months ago. I did all of the basic tests. It has good spark at the spark plugs and about 40 lbs. of pressure at the fuel rail. I tested the signal to the injectors with a noid light and sometimes I get a positive pulse and sometimes I get nothing. Also, when the key is in the on position, the test light shows positive current to both sides of the fuel injector plug. Compression test shows I have one very weak cylinder (70), but the rest seem good at 120, so I'm thinking it should at least start. Also, I can get it to start if I spray carb cleaner or gas in the throttle body, but it dies shortly after. Based on that, I think the problem is fuel isn't getting through the injectors because the injectors aren't getting a good signal to fire. So far I've changed the PCM, the EEC Relay, the Fuel Relay and the inline fuel pump. I also drained all of the gas and put fresh gas in the tank. I am thinking I may have a short somewhere that isn't letting the negative pulse get to the fuel injectors, but I haven't started chasing the wires yet. I spent most of yesterday chasing grounds around the engine bay and cleaned up all the ones that I found. Any ideas on what else should be checked or could cause this intermittent signal is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
J

JimC25

Reaction score
Just an update in case anyone else has this issue. Last night , I changed the MAP sensor and the TPS sensor and it started right up. I'm not sure which was causing the problem, if not both (I had codes for both), but that did the trick.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Just an update in case anyone else has this issue. Last night , I changed the MAP sensor and the TPS sensor and it started right up. I'm not sure which was causing the problem, if not both (I had codes for both), but that did the trick.
Also something you might want to do is. When you get a NEW PART at the parts store. CHECK THEM--SOMETIMES THEY ARE KUNK TOO.. Good luck and glad you got it started and telling us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22