Should I use radius arm alignment casters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasindude1

Reaction score
I had to replace a radius arm that broke on a hunt, I was watching a video and saw these alignment casters that go where the radius arm bushings go, Alignment casters I thought it was pretty cool and may help align my truck. I have a 4' lift with 35" tires, i am always having alignment issues, the tires seem to be angled inward, sorry dont know the correct term but /---\ not that extreme but it is noticeable, but the truck drives straight, would these help me at all? will an alignment shop even adjust these?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jasin,

Alignment bushings: The only place for adjustment of Camber/Caster on the stock setup is by changing bushings around the upper ball joint.

Your 93 has a toe-in issue.

Toe-in and toe-out refer to the difference in the distance between the extreme front and extreme rear of the tires.

• Toe-in (positive toe) occurs when the dimension taken at the front of the tires is less than that taken at the rear of the tires.
  • Toe-out (negative toe) occurs when the dimension taken at the front of the tires is greater than that taken at the rear of the tires.
  • If aftermarket equipment that significantly affects the ride height (i.e., snowplow, second unit bodies, tool boxes) is added, the toe may need to be adjusted. Toe should be maintained at the specified setting with the vehicle in the loaded condition experienced for more than 50 percent of use.
  • Toe should only be checked and adjusted after the caster and camber have been adjusted to specification. Refer to Wheel Alignment,Front in the Specifications portion of this section.

f8240a.gif

The steering linkage has adjustments at the tie rod end (3A131). First, remove the horn pad and make sure the steering wheel is properly installed as described in Section 11-04. With steering wheel locked in place, set toe to correct specification.

1. Loosen the clamp bolts for the adjusting sleeve.

1. Rotate the sleeve until the correct toe alignment is obtained.

1. NOTE: Lubricate clamp fasteners prior to tightening.

With the clamps 4.76mm (3/16 inch) from the end of the sleeve on 4x4 models and centered between the adjusting sleeve lock ring protrusions, position the bolts as described below.

After setting toe, the two clamp bolts/nuts on each adjusting sleeve must be positioned within a limit of 45 degrees (plus/minus) as shown with the threaded end of the bolts on the left-hand sleeve pointing toward the front of the vehicle and the threaded end of the bolts on the right-hand sleeve facing rearward.

f8241a.gif

1. F-Super Duty only: after setting toe, the clamp bolt/nut on the right (tie rod) adjusting sleeve must be positioned within a limit of 45 degrees (plus/minus) as shown with the threaded end of the bolt pointing forward.

f8242a.gif

1. After setting toe, the clamp bolt/nut on the left (drag link) adjusting sleeve must be positioned within a limit of 45 degrees (plus/minus) as shown with the threaded end of the bolt pointing forward.

f8243a.gif

1. Recheck the toe alignment to make sure no changes occurred as the clamp nuts were tightened.

See Specifications in a 94 same as your 93
Source: by Ken B (Kenny's 94) 

Compare to 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by FORD via http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj40010.htm#extract_711

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj40013.htm#spec400

Look through the rest of Section 04-00: Suspension, Service.

This site is freezing up on my tablet.

"...Stock TTB Setup diagram showing where Camber & Castor are measured. The only place for adjustment of Camber/Castor on the stock setup is by changing bushings around the upper ball joint. This only allows for about 2-3 degrees of adjustment in any direction..." 

stock-ttb.jpg
Source: by Roadkill (The Beast) 

The bushings are; Camber Bushing, Fully Adjustable Offset Installation, Diagrams & Specifications, Ford OE Style #23109 Offsets from 0° to 2-3/4° for: 1996-1980 Ford Bronco, 1996-1980 Ford F-150 4WD, 1996-1980 Ford F-250 4WD, 1987-1980 Ford F-350 4W, D2004-1999 Ford F-450 Super Duty RWD, 2004-1999 Ford F-550 Super Duty RWD 

Source: by Ingalls Engineering

Superlift® Adjustable Camber Bushing Offset Installation (no pics, see Mark's SM site) in a 95; Mark wrote elsewhere; "...I installed the adjustables at max setting (high side of bushing closest to coil spring). Well, it must have been my lucky day, cuz even though they are adjustable, generally you have to lower the vehicle with wheel back on, and move it forward and back a good distance to see where it ends up at. Anyway, this max setting was perfect! I tested before buttoning it all back up, but now that it is all done on that side, as best I can measure with my instruments, I am at .25-.5 degrees +. So, this has helped eliminate apx. 1.25-1.5 + camber, putting me in the ideal range for this year bronco (.25+); These bushings I think are adjustable to 2 3/4 degrees. I already had 1 degree in the ones I had. so I was only going to get another 1 3/4. But that was just enough. I used them at full camber, and as best I can tell, I have 3-6 degrees + CASTER, and .25-.5 + CAMBER. The book says I should have between 2-6 = caster, and .25 N to .75 P, so I am in great shape. Tires now look like they are not tilted. Only dilemma I have is that I have not put that other 1/4" worth of coil spacer in yet. that will add maybe .25P. Anyway, once done, if you had + camber, you will probably need to adjust toe inward. - camber you will need to adjust toe out. It does throw it off slightly. Adjusting toe in is done by rotating the sleeve on the steering tie rod end for the offending tire toward the front and up and over toward the back. If you need toe out, you will rotate under toward the back and around and over toward the front. With Toe, do small increments of rotation at a time. Broncos should be slightly toe-in, about 1/32 or so..." 
Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z) 

Superlift® Adjustable Camber Bushing Offset Installation pics in a 95; Mark wrote elsewhere; "...I don't remember too much about this since the pics are from 6 yrs. ago. I do remember and will pass on the words of wisdom....."you don't need directions, once you get one in and turn it back and forth you'll understand/see how it corrects camber (and can slightly adjust caster as well) depending on where they are turned to..."
Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z) at SuperMotors.net

Superlift® Adjustable Camber Bushing Offset Installation in a 93; "...I have the Superlift 3 degree c/b in mine and I installed them and then took it in to get alignment. If the old ones are not frozen in there, then what I do to get them out is loosen the castle nut and the top and use a regular hammer and tap the nut and the bushing starts to work its way up on its own. Then before I install the new ones, I **** the outer wall of the bushing with bearing grease and knock them down. That way it ensure easy adjustability for yourself to get it as close as you can to drive it to the shop. I have a mock up thick wall pvc pipe for each front tire and and strap them to the tire and run my measurements front and back of tire off that to get it pretty damn close on my own..." 
Source: by Camo Horse (g8rfan, Bill)

Bronco TTB Front Wheel Alignment For the do it Yourselfer if You Want it Done Right

The following procedure, methods, spec's, etc. are what I used to achieve an alignment I believe to be acceptable. It seems to have worked for me in that with camber, caster and toe within spec, and unlike before, the 

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
alot of the alignable radius arm bushings are used to correct caster of the axle. When the Bronco is lifted the caster gets out of wack and the angle gets too steep resulting in Bump steer and excessive wear on the outside of the tire. Picture it like always walking of your tiptoes where ever you go. lowering the rear of the radius arm corrects the castor of the front wheels back on its heels allowing for a better driving experience because the front isn' turning on its toes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno