Seat Belt Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twood

Reaction score
Is it possible/safe to upgrade the lap belts in a 1991 Bronco to shoulder harnesses so that I can use them with my daughter's booster seat? If so, can anyone direct me toward some resources that would tell me how to do this?

Thanks for your assistance!

Trey Wood

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
My advice is that you should mount a shoulder /racing harness only to a roll bar above & behind the front seats for safety reasons. If mounted to the floor, they will pull down and compress your spine in a collision. You can check out any of the racing sites, or do a search on Pirate4x4.com for more info. Even the show "Trucks!TV" had a segment on seatbelt safety when modifying a Jeep like the one in the Tomb Raider II movie.

OP
OP
T

twood

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I am wanting to put the booster seat in the back seat. My Bronco is a 1991, and apparently, they started putting shoulder straps in the back in 1992. It seems like there might be some sort of guideline on how to add aftermarket seatbelts, since it is pretty much a "must have" for child booster seats.

Thanks for your assistance!

Trey

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Now I see what you are asking. The 92-96 Broncos have rear shoulder belts anchored to the removable hardtop, so it might be possible to swap to the newer top with the shoulder belts you want. You may have to do some research with Ford to find out if they have any additional support for the belts built into the hardtop. I would be leary of mounting them to your 91 hardtop. A rollbar is still a good idea in addition to the belts for added safety.

tagto138

Reaction score
i would also check what kind of booster seat you have. some have a set up that will latch into the floor and then the booster seat has the harness. although this is common in newer vehicles and not as much the older ones. it may be easier to retrofit this style into a bronco then some other options. i agree a full roll cage would be best but short term using grade 8 bolts *** putting these assemblies into the floor might be a more short term/ permanent setup .

OP
OP
T

twood

Reaction score
The vehicle can actually accomodate the latch system used for car seats. Unfortunately, once kids move up to the booster seat, all of the seats that I can find stop using harnesses that are incoporated into the seat. The booster seat basically just lifts the kid up a little bit and then you wrap the vehicle's shoulder harness around both of them. There are convertible seats that work as car seats and booster seats. You basically just take the harness off when the kid gets bigger.

I looked at some pictures of a 1992 Bronco, and saw that they had the harness attached to the top. The picture I looked at looked like it was actually mounted on the floor, inside the panel behind the seat. It looked like the mount on the top was not anything special, but I would be leary of just mounting the belt to the top without knowing if there is actually some additional reinforcement or soemthing.

Thanks for the info!

Ira

EB Bronco

Reaction score
I have a 94 Bronco and looked at the seat belt mounting in the back. I can't tell if there is any kind of reinforcement in the hard top or not. I'm planning on putting a roll cage in mine so I can remount the shoulder harness to it and be able to have the shoulder seat belts when I take the top off.

Roger

C

chris

you might also look at some of the older Isuzu Amigo's they had a bar that came up and back down beside the seats that the shoulder harness attached to. Not quite a roll bar but something to think about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke