red fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shu Lace

Reaction score
the truck leaked red fluid all over the place and now it wont go anywhere. It runs but it feels like the tranny isn't working. Do i need a new tranny or ca i just put fluid in. Anyone help?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Shu..., welcome...!!

That's a massive leak...!

Critical failure of some sort...broken line., line came loose, etc.

Putting more fluid in, will just leak out.

If you can get under there., you may be able to see the prob.

Once fixed., you may be able to add (proper Ford) fluid to the proper level & drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Shu Lace

Reaction score
Hi Shu..., welcome...!!

That's a massive leak...!

Critical failure of some sort...broken line., line came loose, etc.

Putting more fluid in, will just leak out.

If you can get under there., you may be able to see the prob.

Once fixed., you may be able to add (proper Ford) fluid to the proper level & drive.
Where do you add fluid? I don't see anywhere to add trans fluid!

Bronc76

Reaction score
Under the hood, there's a tranny dipstick, probably towards back of engine near firewall. Pull dipstick out and you will need a funnel to put fluid back in.

OP
OP
S

Shu Lace

Reaction score
"Where do you add fluid? I don't see anywhere to add trans fluid!"

Again., unless you're adding fluid to watch for the leak., you'll just increase the size of the puddle.. :blush:
thats the idea. to spot the leak. so i see a yellow dipstick but i thought that was the oil. where is the oil dipstick?

Krafty

Reaction score
can you give us some of the details of your bronco? year, model, engine, and any other relevant information that may help us help you.

I know if you have the 4.9 6 cylinder engine the motor oil dipstick is on the drivers side.

the important one is the transmission dipstick tube which like Bronc76 said is at the rear of the engine compartment, on the passenger side of the engine almost right against the firewall.

before putting any more transmission fluid in I would recommend looking for any obvious signs of damage or sources for the leak, if you keep the search area limited to where the puddle is located under the bronco it saves you looking all over if you don't have to. Now considering you lost a lot of fluid I would focus on the lower parts of the transmission like the pan, or where the transmission meets the transfer case. if you have to put fluid in it to find the leak only put in a liter at the most so you don't end up just pouring money on the ground.

lastly remember to wipe down your transmission and clean it before putting in more fluid because when it starts leaking again the highest point covered in fluid is usually the source of the fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmo

Reaction score
The M5OD uses RED trans fluid. Now I like the rest here assumed she has an automatic but figured i would ask just to be sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar