rear axle gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90windsor

Reaction score
i found a junkyard axle but i dont know what rear gears i have. the rear end is stock. there is no tag on the outside. its gone.

the one at the junkyard is 3.55 gears.

is there any way of knowing the axle code through the vin or door sticker?

my door sticker is

WB TYPE BODY TRANS AXLE

105 U514 NJ E H9

vin: 1FMEU15H4LLA80822

the guy at the ford dealer said 90% of them were 3.55 and some 3.73

my was a plow truck with a tow package, so im not sure

thanks for your help

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Axle Code "H9" is the Ford 8.8" rear axle with 3.55 gears and factory limited slip.

105 U514 NJ E H9

Yardape

Reaction score
Wouldnt hurt to check the ratio to be certain, the possiblity is there that someone could have changed the gears. count the teeth on the pinion and divide that into the teeth on the ring gear and that will tell you the ratio. Much easier to check that then replace the tcase later if by slight chance it is different.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
You can also try spinning a wheel (it'll have to be on jackstands of course :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) and counting how many times the pinion/driveshaft yoke turns. If it has 3.55's it'll turn just a hair more than 3 & 1/2 times for every one revolution of the tire. If it's a 3.73 it'll be just a hair under 3 & 3/4 turns.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom