Rear arm rest/cover paintable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoFloBronco

Reaction score
I have a line on some rear arm rest covers for my '92. My interior is gray but these are tan. I think I read somewhere that these can be painted with an interior paint to match (SEM maybe?). Has anyone done this with success?
Thanks

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
I just did mine 2 weeks ago. I used the stuff from the auto parts store that is made for vinyl and cloth. You can't tell its painted. It looks like it's actually black vinyl now. I was very impressed. But being that its only been 2 weeks I have no Idea how its going to hold up. I cleaned the armrest with a little laquer thinner and just sprayed it on.

OP
OP
S

SoFloBronco

Reaction score
I just did mine 2 weeks ago. I used the stuff from the auto parts store that is made for vinyl and cloth. You can't tell its painted. It looks like it's actually black vinyl now. I was very impressed. But being that its only been 2 weeks I have no Idea how its going to hold up. I cleaned the armrest with a little laquer thinner and just sprayed it on.
Good to know. I assume they have various colors available? I don't expect to match perfect but anything is better than not having them.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo SoFloBronco,
Welcome!
"...got me thinking just how long it took me to find exact paint to match my interior trim. I tried almost every paint store in town in my search (and I even work in a 1,000,000 sq. ft. Sherwin Williams warehouse.) I purchased about ten different types in my quest for the perfect paint. While some were close, there was one CLEARLY above and beyond all the rest.

It is produced by a company named SEM, and is available through a few auto paint suppliers. The color I bought; "bluemist" was an exact match to the factory interior. I couldn't believe my eyes. It blew Krylon Fusion, VHT color-dye, all the popular aerosols, custom-mixed jobs........everything right out of the water. Come to find out, they are also the only Ford licensed aftermarket manufactrer of aersols out there. (prolly explains the match. ;) .)x" by BLOODSWEATSTEEL

See 4 Easy Steps to Refinishing Interior Plastic by SEM @

https://www.semproducts.com/blog/4-easy-steps-to-refinishing-interior-plastic

Here's the 1992 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1992.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

Al

OP
OP
S

SoFloBronco

Reaction score
Yo SoFloBronco,
Welcome!
"...got me thinking just how long it took me to find exact paint to match my interior trim. I tried almost every paint store in town in my search (and I even work in a 1,000,000 sq. ft. Sherwin Williams warehouse.) I purchased about ten different types in my quest for the perfect paint. While some were close, there was one CLEARLY above and beyond all the rest.

It is produced by a company named SEM, and is available through a few auto paint suppliers. The color I bought; "bluemist" was an exact match to the factory interior. I couldn't believe my eyes. It blew Krylon Fusion, VHT color-dye, all the popular aerosols, custom-mixed jobs........everything right out of the water. Come to find out, they are also the only Ford licensed aftermarket manufactrer of aersols out there. (prolly explains the match. ;) .)x" by BLOODSWEATSTEEL

See 4 Easy Steps to Refinishing Interior Plastic by SEM @

https://www.semproducts.com/blog/4-easy-steps-to-refinishing-interior-plastic

Here's the 1992 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1992.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

Al
Thank you sir. So I wouldn't have described it as "dark charcoal" (mine seems more light gray) but it looks like that is the only color my interior can be based on the brochure you attached. Interesting

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom