Questions about 460 conversion.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tilted78f150

Reaction score
Hey there! The bronco forum seems to get more action than the truck one does,so I will ask you the same question I posted over there.

I have a '77 460ci that I am putting in my '78 1/2 ton F150. There are a few things that I am stuck on (I'm new to the Ford scene). I am keeping the 4sp that was against my 351M.

1) I need an internally balanced flywheel. I've heard that I don't HAVE to use a 460 fly wheel. True??

2)What ones can I use? The whole tooth count thing is confusing to me.

3)What starter do I use? The one to match the flywheel, or the truck?

[-o< I really hope you guys can help answer these. [-o<

Thanks!!

RTM

Reaction score
Hey there! The bronco forum seems to get more action than the truck one does,so I will ask you the same question I posted over there.
I have a '77 460ci that I am putting in my '78 1/2 ton F150. There are a few things that I am stuck on (I'm new to the Ford scene). I am keeping the 4sp that was against my 351M.

1) I need an internally balanced flywheel. I've heard that I don't HAVE to use a 460 fly wheel. True??

2)What ones can I use? The whole tooth count thing is confusing to me.

3)What starter do I use? The one to match the flywheel, or the truck?

[-o< I really hope you guys can help answer these. [-o<  

Thanks!!

20804[/snapback]

A 390 flywheel will work. I used the same starter and never had any problems, if I recall correctly. It was over 15 years ago when i did my last swap.

freak

Reaction score
Give L&L product's a call,they can help you out.http://www.landlproducts.com/index.htm

GubNi

Reaction score
Not sure about the flywheel, but your local machine shop or junkyard should be able to answer that. As for the starter they are the same.

Ziggy

Reaction score
Check out Advance Adapters, they should be able to asnswer all your questions. I have called them and emailed them and they have always been very helpful and quick with a response. Plus their catolog is free.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke