Problem Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdom001

Reaction score
The first time i go to start the truck each day it takes 5-8 sec of holding the key before it starts. Any time after that is starts quiker. Any suggestions. Also does anyone know where I can get a good OBD 1 reader for a good price, or even the software and cable to run off my laptop?

Seabronc

Reaction score
First off, welcome to the Zone > Post some pictures when you get a chance, we'd like to :-B at them. Also, it is helpful if you include something about your truck, put the vitals in your signature.

Assuming you have an EFI engine, the start depends on your computer and the external conditions sensed by the computer. Here is a link to a very good site with information about EFI. I'm directing you to the EFI start and run strategies so you can get an idea how that works. It sounds a little long and perhaps you just need a tune up, like new plugs, wires, etc.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=64

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
Maybe your starter solenoid is shot. Check that first, then check your starter and igntion system.

OP
OP
sdom001

sdom001

Reaction score
I'd love to post more about my Bronco but not sure how to find out what the truck has tranny or gear wise. This is my first Bronco. there is a pic in my profile. How do I add pics or comments like you have with your postings?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Near the top of this page, on the same line where it says "Logged in as: sdom001 (log out)" look farther toward the right it says "My Controls"

Click on "my controls" and it will take you to your control panel. On the left side of the page there are many options. "Edit signature" will let you add a signature at the bottom of your posts. "Edit Avitar" will let you add a picture that will appear below your screen name on the left side of your posts (like Seabronc's Fred Flinstone) You can play with the other links to see what they do. The whole thing is pretty user friendly.

You can find out how your vehicle was equiped from the factory by CLICKING HERE to use the My Ford website. Once you create an acount and log in, you can ask them a specific question or request a build sheet. You will need your VIN number to do this. I asked them a few days ago about my rear axle and they e-mailed me an answer the next day. The build sheet will take a little longer. If your vehicle is no longer stock, this may not be that usefull to you, but you will know what it had when it left the factory.

Welcome to Broncozone!

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I don't believe he said it won't start, just that it takes a little long to start the first time :blink:
:)>-
I found that when the vehicle wasn't firing for a while after cranking, the starter solenoid wasn't doing its job. Also it might need to have its timing checked.

OP
OP
sdom001

sdom001

Reaction score
troubleshooting update............I had to get up early this morning to go flying and it was pretty cold outside. The truck fired up as soon as i turned the key.

OP
OP
sdom001

sdom001

Reaction score
Roadkill thanks for the tips on the sig and avatar. The my Ford website says it can't find my vin number. But if I enter it anywhere else it comes up with the right info.

Roadkill

Reaction score
The my Ford website says it can't find my vin number.
I apologize for sending you on the wild goose chase. When I went back to the site myself, I found this disclamer on the Vehicle Specifations page
(Note: All vehicle information applies to 1996-2005 models only. For previous model year VIN information, check sources at your dealership.)
I guess the website doesn't track stuff all the way back to your model year. But there must be a record somewhere, maybe a local Ford dealer will help you like the disclaimer suggests.

Good Luck!

Yardape

Reaction score
Your gears should be 3.54 dana 44 front and 3.55 8.8 rear. As for the tranny, is it manual or auto? overdrive or 3 speed?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats ok I didn't see the disclaimer myself
yo;

you can get a Build Sheet in ltr format from Ford; Build Sheet Information Request Form; Fords build sheet reply letter w/original build date, optional equipt., axle ratio, paint color, etc by equivalent

like this one

On-Line Used to be in Ford's Ask Kate section of my Ford site. So try this; Build Sheet Information Phone Number, Ford, 1-800-392-3673

Source: by miesk5, no URL

or look for your BS (no oun or dis intended....)

Build Sheet for an 86 Source: by Aikidoka (Adam O) at aikidokatech.com

look for copy under rear cargo mat/carpet, or under pass seat mat...some under mat/carpet under pass seat...and sometimes wherever the assembler stuck it in

takes about 3 weeks...

gl!

OP
OP
sdom001

sdom001

Reaction score
Ok it's now been 2 mornings in a row where it has been really really cold and the truck starts right up. Once warmed up it goes back to the 5-8 sec of cranking before starting.

OP
OP
sdom001

sdom001

Reaction score
Thankx Yardape. But does that lead anyone to any possible fixes.

OP
OP
sdom001

sdom001

Reaction score
does anyone know why it would start better in cold air than in hotter air or when warm?

Yardape

Reaction score
Could be a starter issue. They are known to have a draw when they are warm when they are starting to wear out. Only thing I can think of.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno