Pinion markings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtbags

Reaction score
I'm putting gears in my '77 and the shop manual talks about comparing markings from old pinion to new pinion to get close with the pinion depth shims. Supposedly the pinions should be marked "+3" or "-2" or whatever. Anyway, my old pinion is marked with a +4, but my new Yukon pinion is only marked with the set number, then "2.624". Anybody know how to translate that to something I can use? I figure 2.624 is probably some kind of actual measurement instead of a deviation from nominal, but I'm not sure and I don't know what nominal would be anyway.

As always, help's much appreciated.

BRONCFOOT

Reaction score
I'm putting gears in my '77 and the shop manual talks about comparing markings from old pinion to new pinion to get close with the pinion depth shims. Supposedly the pinions should be marked "+3" or "-2" or whatever. Anyway, my old pinion is marked with a +4, but my new Yukon pinion is only marked with the set number, then "2.624". Anybody know how to translate that to something I can use? I figure 2.624 is probably some kind of actual measurement instead of a deviation from nominal, but I'm not sure and I don't know what nominal would be anyway.

As always, help's much appreciated.
Go to Richmond Gear.com under installation instructions.Maybe that will get you started.Make sure you have a selection of different thickness pinion shims and carrier brg shims along with crush sleeve + pinion seal.Dealer should have them or ReiderRacing,Summit,Jegs has 'em in a kit.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo