performance brake calipers?

Zeus78

Reaction score
Okay, so I threw some chromoly axle shafts in over the weekend and I found one of my warn lockouts wouldn’t release. So I put a nice set of Mile Markers on.
This Bronco has sat for many years, it's in great shape, but things like brakes usually act up when a truck sits for that long.
Now, I have upgraded my booster and MC to F350 stuff (not much of an upgrade really), but I feel like there has to be some performance calipers out there that might clamp tighter and hold up better. Anyone have any experience with higher end binders?
Additionally, the bleeders are seized on these calipers, so I have to bleed from the brake line fittings, but it’s just a matter of time before I can no longer do that.
I'm seeing some more expensive calipers out there from Raybestos and Centric, but are they just simply more expensive because of the name or some window dressing?
I'm going to check to see if Baer, Widwood and/or EBC make any for the 78/79's.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Good question, I’m still running stock on all my Bronco’s. Easy to find and replace as needed. But I’m following this to see what others have to say.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
try doing a search for T-bird caliper upgrade.

I don't know much on it but heard it can be done.

OX1

Reaction score
T-bird calipers and 93 F350 booster with 86 mustang SVO MC (which is 1.25" dia).
That 79 F350 upgrade ***** really, not worth it (I tried it first, like
most do). If you had stock MC, those stock lines would have bolted up to 86 SVO MC.
SVO MC bolts right to 93 booster.

That booster/MC is a poor mans hydroboost. Really wakes up even a stock brake setup.
Will need to make some simple brackets out of 2 x 2 square tube to get 93 booster in.

Just to give you an idea, here is 93 F350 booster, 85 F150/bronco booster, and 79 F150/Bronco booster on right.
You can see Ford doubled the booster swept area in early 80's, by making it dual diaphragm, even though 80+ brake
sizes were pretty much the same as 78/79. They realized 78/79 boosters were woefully undersized.

You must be registered for see images attach

Some pics of the conversion. These are the brackets you need to make. You also have to grind booster rod a bit, near mount hole as shown.

Here are some pics of the "setup" brackets I slapped together first time I installed one of these.
Should help you some, build you own.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Great info OX! Thanks for posting.

I will add regarding Master cylinders.

Smaller bore, easier to push, longer pedal travel.

So 1 1/4" Easy to push but will travel farther than
Like 1 3/8" bore. It would be less pedal travel and harder to push.

So achieving a pedal feel and travel you desire takes some playing but there are plenty of options out there.

OX1

Reaction score
Great info OX! Thanks for posting.

I will add regarding Master cylinders.

Smaller bore, easier to push, longer pedal travel.

So 1 1/4" Easy to push but will travel farther than
Like 1 3/8" bore. It would be less pedal travel and harder to push.

So achieving a pedal feel and travel you desire takes some playing but there are plenty of options out there.
Right, For info, SVO MC is 1-1/8 bore, not sure where I came up with 1-1/4.
It is still larger than stock, 1" or 79 F350 MC, 1-1/16". It is harder to push than either of
those two, hence why you need big booster.

I prefer short travel, easy to push brakes. So I like big MC bores AND big boosters
(favorite being hydroboost). It is a preference thing, some call what I like "touchy".
In addition to feel, I figure at 60+ MPH, the extra 1/2 a second it takes to actuate long
travel brake pedals, you cover a lot more distance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GCF