painting top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90windsor

Reaction score
i have a quart of duplicolor paint shop black. will that work on the top? or will it all flake off?

its the stock 1990 top. what is it even made out of exactly? it says fiberglass in the owners manual but it sounds like sheet metal.

when i painted my old rims, i shot a little bit of duplicolor wheel coating paint in the corner and it seems to stick good and turn out good.

what about roll-on bed liner? i have some leftover (especially since the top already has that rough texture to it)

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Your top is fiberglass. 66-77 tops are sheet metal, 79-96 are fiberglass.

Personally I wouldn't even *consider* using anything other than a proper automotive paint (purchased from an auto paint dealer like a local PPG shop) shot thru anything other than a spray gun (either high pressure or HVLP). I can pretty much guarantee that you're going to be disappointed with anything less.

If you want to take a crack at using the bedliner you're certainly welcome to but between surface prep and good application technique it'll be a job to get something on there that doesn't look hoakey. Not that it can't be done but you'll have to take some time & put some effort into it and I wouldn't suggest trying to do it with simply what's left-over from another job unless the truck is a woods/trail rig and it's appearance doesn't much matter to you.

If you want to paint it and have it look nice then you'll need to use automotive paint & a spray gun.

On a related note, if the top is in reasonably good shape & just faded or dull you might want to consider just clearcoating it. I recently shot a tailgate for a friend & had a bunch of leftover clearcoat in the gun when the job was finished. I have another friend's 88' Bronco decorating my lawn & he wanted to tape it up real quick & shoot the top just to see how it would look. We did and it came out looking surprisingly good. I mean *real* good. Good enough that new we're planning to lightly sand the rest of the truck & shoot the whole thing with a fresh coat of clearcoat.

Yardape

Reaction score
I'm going to paint my top with durabak bed liner. Come to think of it, i'm painting the whole truck inside and out with durabak.

all_ford fun

Reaction score
I'm going to paint my top with durabak bed liner. Come to think of it, i'm painting the whole truck inside and out with durabak.
a friend of mine used some kind of a powder fiberglass and resin to fill the voids on the back , sanded it and painted it to match his bronco , it looks killer , you have to look to notice its a removable top

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22