NP435 leaking between it and the adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
The 74 Bronco I just purchased (will have photos soon) has a leak between the NP435 and the adapter.

I've never pulled apart the adapter to 435 before and want a heads up. Does anyone have details or photos? Any parts that fall out or into the 435 to watch out for?

I've pulled the D20 from the adapter before and know bearings fall out. Is it the same between the 435 and adapter?

I'm thinking of just pulling the adapter/D20 back just far enough to get the gasket in place.

My thoughts are the shaft inside will still be in the way and I might have to rip the gasket in one spot to get it around it and use gasket sealer on the rip.

Or should I drop the dapter/D20 to the ground and do it the right way?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
It has been a while, but I dont believe there are any bearings in the adapter at all. The only thing that the adapter actually does is give the proper space between the tranny & x-fer and also "adapt" them to each other. But, it has been 6 years since I put my NP on, so the memory does decline....

I am pretty sure that you can break the tranny and adapter apart and just use permatex to seal it back up with though.

OP
OP
Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I believe you're right.

I heard when cracking the case open I have to reach in and hold onto the 435 shaft so it doesn't pull out if I want to drop the adapter to the floor and use a gasket. I think I might try the permatex first, seems like an easy fix if I can get all the way around it. No body lift on this rig.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke