new to me 1991 Bronco needing fixing, what I learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbr1000dude

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I bought a 1991 Bronco from a neighbor that ran poorly, had engine light on, broken window lock, and no 4 wheel drive(the main reason he sold It) cheap. He lives on a horse ranch and it's steep and muddy, so no 4 wheel drive was a killer.

So I got it running real good TPS, IAC, Throttle body cleaning, Fuel pressure regulator vacuum leak, other vacuum leaks, etc.

The engine never warmed up, turned out the thermostat housing was bad, let cold coolant past even when closed. Heater never warmed cabin, heater core was clogged. So now it runs great, ,no more engine light, heater and AC work, cleaned up real nice. This took me about three weeks (I'm retired) between other projects.

Found a great post on here about 4 wheel drive problems after I installed a new transfer case motor that wasn't the problem, the neighbor assured me that was the problem. So after running all the tests on the system, it appeared the "brain" was defective even though it gave me 4 flashes on the self test. So I ordered a new used one that had a lifetime guarantee. $234. Got the new one, same problem, no action.

I was taking it back out to call them and tell them their box was no good,  and noticed a tiny bit of corrosion on one of the connectors. I looked at my old box, and the box side of the connector was corroded. I cleaned both with WD-40 and 2000 grit sandpaper, reinstalled it, and it worked perfectly. So happy! I really like this Bronco now. Sharing it with my brother on 10 acres. Pretty muddy now, most rain we've had in years here in sunny Ca. Really need 4WD.

So now I am the man with two brains (old Steve Martin movie), ha, ha. I hope this helps someone.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo cbr1000dude,

Welcome & good work on the Bronco!

Post some pics when you can because we all like seeing Bronco pics.

To post a pic from your PC, TABLET, etc., just below the reply box in lower right corner, click More Reply Options

Screen will change

See Attach files

pick out the pic

Click Attach This File

or click, Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)

Please fill out Signature with year, engine/tranny/Xfer case/hub type info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.

Click your name in right black panel in upper right;

In pop up,

Click, My Profile

Click, Edit My Profile in right side black panel

In left panel, Click, Edit Signature

Enter info

Click, Save Changes

Here are some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) same as by Ford;

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd

Our sponsor, Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line orders. To get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order.

http://broncograveyard.com

Hopefully it's still in effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22