New to Bronco - Suggestions for OBD 2 failing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newbroncorox

Reaction score
My vehicle is a 1996 Ford Bronco with a 5.8L engine. It is recently acquired, and I've been trying to get it to pass emissions. It also has an OBD II computer, the only Bronco year to have that new computer, which seems to be the source of my problems.

Here's the recent history. When I bought it a few weeks ago, it ran great, but the OBD II was kicking out some codes, one of which was P1351 (plus another code I don't have, but it went away), so it wouldn't pass the emissions test. Then, it began not starting intermittently, getting worse until it wouldn't start at all. I'd turn it on, the engine would turn over, but not start. There was no spark. I replaced the coil, still no spark.

We suspected the Hall effect pickup sensor in the distributor, so we replaced the distributor (cheaper and easier than just replacing the pickup sensor), and now it starts and runs every time. The engine doesn't run well, though, and the engine makes a couple of different sounds, for example when going over 40 mph, seems like the timing is off, and there's pinging. The timing is probably off a little from installing the new distributor (though we marked the position of the distributor and rotor carefully and got the new distributor to line up nearly perfectly), and that could certainly result in the poor running, but I think maybe the engine computer isn't working and making timing adjustments.

I borrowed a diagnostic tool for OBD II from Autozone. It read a code (P1351, ignition) the first time I used it, but after using it again, it wouldn't read anything at all (I think because the tool's frayed wires shorted out the computer or something.) A manager at AutoZone tried twice more at later times with different tools and it was unable to connect or read anything. There is no power and/or signal coming out of the OBD II port in the cabin. We checked the fuses that were indicated as being for the powertrain control module, and replaced one, because there was a 30 amp fuse where a 20 amp was supposed to be. (The problem with being able to read OBD II codes first happened before we replaced the distributor, and after we replaced the distributor and got it to run, there are still no OBD codes.)

So I think the problem is my computer (powertrain control module), but I don't know what, and it's a very complicated to figure out what diagnostics to do, even based on the extensive repair manual we bought (Haynes). Maybe the PCM has no power, maybe the PCM has been fried, or maybe just the ODB II output has been fried. If anyone has any idea what's going on, I'd appreciate some advice.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

I replied to this in the other Forum.

Here it is:

Code Reader Will NOT Power up; 96 Bronco & all Ford; "Check fuse 16 (15 amps) for the cigarette lighter. It is shared with the OBDII Diagnostic Link Connector power and could be blown; Besides the visual check, if it looks good, then check for 12V .. if not 12v, then check ****-Fuse 20 (50 amps) - (it powers Fuses 4, 8 and 16 in (IP Fuse Panel).

Also See Circuit Breaker 12) in Power Distribution Box Diagram in a 96; Miesk5 Note; Box is Located under the hood on the drivers side fenderwell, on driver's side of the air cleaner housing; " miesk5 note; our 96's lighter wiring shorted out @ ashtray support..."

Source: by miesk5 at FSB

Fuse Block Diagram in a 96

fuseboxdashboard.jpg

Source: by Roadkill (The Beast) at SuperMotors.net

Besides the visual check, if it looks good, then check for 12V .. if not 12v, then check ****-Fuse 20 (50 amps) - (it powers Fuses 4, 8 and 16 in (IP Fuse Panel). Also See Circuit Breaker 12) in

Power Distribution Box Diagram in a 96;

k17364c.gif

Fuse Position Amps Circuits Protected

1 20 Radio

2 30 4WABS Relay No. 1

3 30 Horn Relay, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), Multi-Function Switch, Speed Control

4 25 Trailer Marker Lamps Relay, Trailer Backup Lamps Relay

5 15 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S), Backup Lamps, 4WABS, Trailer Battery Charge Relay, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), Speed Control

6 10 Trailer Right Stop/Turn Lamps

7 10 Trailer Left Stop/Turn Lamps

****-Fuse Position Amps Circuits Protected

8 30 4 WABS Relay No. 2

9 30 PCM Power Relay, Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

10 20 See Fuse 18 (IP Fuse Panel), Starter Relay

11 — Not Used

12 (Diode) 20 Ignition System, PCM Power Relay Coil

13 50 See Fuses 5, 9 and 13 (IP Fuse Panel)

14 30 Rear Window Defrost

15 50 See Fuses 1 and 7 (IP Fuse Panel) and Fuse 5

16 20 Fuel Pump Relay

17 50 See Fuses 2, 6, 11 and 17, ****-Fuse 22 and Circuit Breaker 14

18 30 Trailer Battery Charge Relay

19 40 Main Light Switch, Headlamps

20 50 See Fuses 4, 8 and 16 (IP Fuse Panel). Also See Circuit Breaker 12.

21 30 Trailer Electronic Brake Control Unit

22 20 Diode Current Flows from Fuse 22 to PCM Power Relay

Relay 1 Relay PCM Power Relay

Relay 2 Relay Fuel Pump Relay

Relay 3 Relay Horn Relay

Relay 4 Relay Trailer Marker Lamps Relay

Relay 5 Relay 4WABS Relay No. 2

================

Although this is for just 92 Bronco, it may still apply;

Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Technical Service Bulletins Customer Interest Electrical Systems - Multiple Malfunctions Electrical Systems - Multiple Malfunctions Article No. 92-22-5 10/21/92ISSUE:

The transmission control switch wiring may be misrouted causing a short in the steering column and a blown # 17 fuse. The following symptoms may be associated with this concern.

Early shifts

Loss of power

Poor acceleration

3-4 shift cycling

Transmission control light cycling ON/OFF or inoperative

Transmission control switch inoperative

Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS) electronics (dash lights on, etc.) inoperative

Loss of instrumentation (tach, fuel gauge, etc.)

Unable to read Self-Test codes (solid tone only)

ACTION:

Inspect the transmission control switch wiring for damage and repair or replace as necessary. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

1. Remove the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the removal procedure.

2. Examine the transmission control switch wiring for damage, Figure 1. (I don't have this Figure)

3. Repair or replace the wiring as necessary.

4. Install the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the installation procedure.

CAUTION:

DURING REASSEMBLY, ROUTE WIRING AWAY FROM ATTACHING ***** SO AS NOT TO PINCH OR DAMAGE WIRE.

==============

DTC P1351 Ignition Diagnostic Monitor Circuit Input Fault "...P1351 can occur if the Igniton Module was replaced with the Gray one instead of a Black one. The ICM Should be Black in color for the CCD Type Module. Many Ford parts sources are incorrect and show that this vehicle should have a Grey module. The Motorcraft part number for the BLACK CCD Ignition Modules is a DY1077 (supercedes DY679, DY667, DY645)..."

Source: by miesk

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Ofcourse miesk5 is right on with his information. Way to go miesk5 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you are getting pinging after you replaced the distributor, I agree with you that the ignition timing is likely off. I believe that it should be 8-10 degrees BTDC. NOTE: that is with the SPOUT connector removed. you replace it after you set the base timing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno